The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] PDP-11/23+ just restored :)
@ 2015-09-13  9:39 asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2015-09-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

we just restored our PDP-11/23+ rebulding a new PSU around a
normal PC PSU and creating the real time clock needed for some
OS.

we're wondering about what UNIX can eventually run on it :)

http://museo.freaknet.org/en/restauro-pdp1123plus/

bye,
Gabriele

--
[ ::::::::: 73 de IW9HGS : http://freaknet.org/asbesto ::::::::::: ]
[ Freaknet Medialab :: Poetry Hacklab : Dyne.Org :: Radio Cybernet ]

* [TUHS] PDP-11/23+ just restored :)
@ 2015-09-13 10:23 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-09-13 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, asbesto wrote:

> we just restored our PDP-11/23+ rebulding a new PSU around a normal PC
> PSU and creating the real time clock needed for some OS.
>
> we're wondering about what UNIX can eventually run on it :)
>
> http://museo.freaknet.org/en/restauro-pdp1123plus/

11/23?  Should be able to run V6, but not V7 (no sep/id space).  Does it
have the FPU?  Those variants were damned rare (here in Oz, at least).

The AUUG archives ought to have stuff on it (cough, cough; I ported Unix
to the thing).

 I'll support shark-culling when they have been observed walking on dry land.

* [TUHS] PDP-11/23+ just restored :)
@ 2015-09-13 10:23 ` Pete Turnbull
From: Pete Turnbull @ 2015-09-13 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/09/2015 10:39, asbesto wrote:
> we just restored our PDP-11/23+ rebulding a new PSU around a
> normal PC PSU and creating the real time clock needed for some
> OS.
>
> we're wondering about what UNIX can eventually run on it :)

You could run 7th Edition; I run that on my 11/23+.  You'd need an 11/73
or another processor with split I&D space for anything later.

I'm curious as to why you needed a 60Hz clock when your line frequency
is 50Hz?  All the DEC O/S can run with a 50Hz, as can UNIX.

--
Pete

Pete Turnbull

* [TUHS] PDP-11/23+ just restored :)
@ 2015-09-13 10:31   ` Pete Turnbull
From: Pete Turnbull @ 2015-09-13 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/09/2015 11:23, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> 11/23?  Should be able to run V6, but not V7 (no sep/id space).  Does it
> have the FPU?  Those variants were damned rare (here in Oz, at least).

No, you don't need split I&D for 7th Edition, which runs just fine on
mine.  As demonstrated at the DEC Legacy Event in Windermere a few
months ago.

http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/declegacy/

See, specifically, the second and third pictures in the 2015 gallery
http://wickensonline.co.uk/declegacy/image/tid/13 and
http://wickensonline.co.uk/declegacy/node/267

--
Pete

Pete Turnbull

* [TUHS] PDP-11/23+ just restored :)
@ 2015-09-13 11:25     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-09-13 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Pete Turnbull wrote:

> > 11/23?  Should be able to run V6, but not V7 (no sep/id space).  Does
> > it have the FPU?  Those variants were damned rare (here in Oz, at
> > least).
>
> No, you don't need split I&D for 7th Edition, which runs just fine on
> mine. As demonstrated at the DEC Legacy Event in Windermere a few months
> ago.

Ah; I only saw the 18-bit version, not the 22-bit version...

Thanks.

@ 2015-09-13 13:53   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2015-09-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall scripsit:

> 11/23?  Should be able to run V6, but not V7 (no sep/id space).

More precisely, it won't be able to run executables with a magic number
of 0411, which demands split I/D.  I don't know offhand which those were.
But split I/D support goes back to V5, according to a.out.h.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Does anybody want any flotsam? / I've gotsam.
Does anybody want any jetsam? / I can getsam.
        --Ogden Nash, No Doctors Today, Thank You

* [TUHS] PDP-11/23+ just restored :)
@ 2015-09-15  9:33   ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2015-09-15  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:23:35AM +0100, Pete Turnbull wrote:

> I'm curious as to why you needed a 60Hz clock when your line
> frequency is 50Hz?  All the DEC O/S can run with a 50Hz, as can
> UNIX.

oh well, it was just a choice :)