The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] PDP-11/70 SPL (was: Early non-Unix filesystems?)
@ 2016-03-27 11:25 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-27 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Johnny Billquist

    > It would also be interesting if anyone can come up with a good reason
    > why SPL should work that way.

So that when doing:

	SPL	0
	WAIT

you don't lose by having the interrupt happen between the SPL and the WAIT?

	Noel

* [TUHS] PDP-11/70 SPL (was: Early non-Unix filesystems?)
@ 2016-03-28 13:50 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-28 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > That makes sense, and someone forgot to document it...

Or perhaps it was added precisely to get rid of the window, and then someone
discovered that it could be used to freeze the system, so they decided they'd
better not document it?

If the system had MOS memory, and you had to power cycle the machine to get it
out of this state, there wouldn't be any evidence left of who did the deed
(unless the system was writing extensive audit trailing to disk), so it would
be a great 'system assasin' (aka vandal) tool.

	Noel

PS: I guess this is more PDP-11ish than UNIXish - apologies for the off-topic!

[parent not found: <mailman.167.1459043447.15972.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]