The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  another Unix V7 port
@ 2016-11-11 14:42 Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2016-11-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just found a project that has ported Unix V7 to a modern system, and
a search of my TUHS archives finds no previous mention of it:

	V7/x86 - x86 port of UNIX V7
	http://www.nordier.com/v7x86/index.html

	V7/x86 on VirtualBox
	http://www.nordier.com/articles/v7x86_vbox.html

The jwhois command identifies the host site as (possibly) located in
Durban, South Africa.

* [TUHS] another Unix V7 port
@ 2016-11-14  6:05 ` markus schnalke
From: markus schnalke @ 2016-11-14  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

[2016-11-11 07:42] "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe at math.utah.edu>

> The jwhois command identifies the host site as (possibly) located in
> Durban, South Africa.

Just have a look at the main page <http://www.nordier.com/>
right at the top it says:

	Robert Nordier

	Email: [...]
	Mobile: +27 [...]
	Location: Sandton, South Africa

meillo

* [TUHS] another Unix V7 port
@ 2016-11-14  7:47   ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2016-11-14  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very interesting website/webpage.

Gracias | Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche Grüße | Salutations
--
Sergio Pedraja
--

> [2016-11-11 07:42] "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe at math.utah.edu>
>>
>> The jwhois command identifies the host site as (possibly) located in
>> Durban, South Africa.
>
> Just have a look at the main page <http://www.nordier.com/>
> right at the top it says:
>
>         Robert Nordier
>
>         Email: [...]
>         Mobile: +27 [...]
>         Location: Sandton, South Africa
>

> meillo

* [TUHS] another Unix V7 port
@ 2016-11-14 14:04     ` Gilbert Morgan
From: Gilbert Morgan @ 2016-11-14 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

It has been around for quite some time. I first encountered it in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 14, 2016, at 02:47, SPC <spedraja at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Very interesting website/webpage.
>
> Gracias | Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche Grüße | Salutations
> --
> Sergio Pedraja
> --
> skype: Sergio Pedraja
> http://plus.google.com/u/0/101292256663392735405
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/sergiopedraja
> -----
> No crea todo lo que ve, ni crea que está viéndolo todo
> -----
> "El estado de una Copia de Seguridad es desconocido
> hasta que intentas restaurarla" (- nixCraft)

>> [2016-11-11 07:42] "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe at math.utah.edu>
>>>
>>> The jwhois command identifies the host site as (possibly) located in
>>> Durban, South Africa.
>>
>> Just have a look at the main page <http://www.nordier.com/>
>> right at the top it says:
>>
>>        Robert Nordier
>>
>>        Email: [...]
>>        Mobile: +27 [...]
>>        Location: Sandton, South Africa
>>

>> meillo

* [TUHS] another Unix V7 port
@ 2016-11-14 15:49       ` A. P. Garcia
From: A. P. Garcia @ 2016-11-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/14/16, Gilbert Morgan <gilbertmm at sdf.org> wrote:
> It has been around for quite some time. I first encountered it in 2012.

It was announced on this list in October 2007..

* [TUHS] another Unix V7 port
@ 2016-11-15  1:58         ` Gilbert Morgan
From: Gilbert Morgan @ 2016-11-15  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Before my time. I was barely out of high school in 2007. Good to know it's been running that long.

@ 2016-11-15  3:00           ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-11-15  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016, Gilbert Morgan wrote:

> Before my time. I was barely out of high school in 2007. Good to know
> it's been running that long.

Try the early 70s, youngster :-)

* [TUHS] another Unix V7 port
@ 2016-11-19  9:31 ` Dario Niedermann
From: Dario Niedermann @ 2016-11-19  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il 11/11/2016 alle 15:42, Nelson H. F. Beebe ha scritto:

> I just found a project that has ported Unix V7 to a modern system, and
> a search of my TUHS archives finds no previous mention of it:

Yes, that's an interesting project that has been around for a while.

Unfortunately, I found it to be rather unstable when connecting to the
virtual machine's serial port: after some I/O, the emulated system would
crash and typically leave the virtual disk messed up.

I reported this bug in late 2013 and it was kindly acknowledged, but I
see no version number change on the website, so I don't think it has
been fixed. The developer did warn me at the time that the project
wasn't really being maintained. Too bad, because porting V7 to x86 must
have been no small feat.

DN