The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 4.3BSD TAHOE aka what is a TAHOE?!
@ 2017-02-24  3:33 jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2017-02-24  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

It’s embarrassing to mention this, but I thought I’d share.

I’ve always wondered what on earth a TAHOE was, as they disappeared just about as quickly as they came out.  As we all know that they were instrumental from separating out the VAX code from 4.3BSD in the official CSRG source.  I was looking through old usenet stuff when I typed in something wrong, and came across people looking for GCC for the Tahoe running BSD. (http://altavista.superglobalmegacorp.com/usenet/b128/comp/sys/tahoe/79.txt)

In article <2287 at trantor.harris-atd.com>, bbadger at x102c (Badger BA 64810) writes:
 `We have a Harris HCX-9 computer, also known as a Tahoe, and we'd like to
 `get gcc and g++ up and running.  I haven't seen anything refering to
 `the HCX or any Tahoe machines in the gcc distribution.  Anyone have it?
 `Working on it?  Pointers to who might?  Know if Berkely cc/ld/asm is PD?

Turns out they were using Harris mini’s called the HCX-9.  That’s when I went back to the source and saw this:

#
# GENERIC POWER 6/32 (HCX9)
#
machine		tahoe
cpu		"TAHOE"
ident		GENERIC

So if anyone else is wondering what was a Tahoe, did it exist, was there actual sales, is their pictures of it, etc, the answer is yes, it was a real machine, yes it was sold, and there are even print ads in Computer world.

I thought it was interesting though.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 4.3BSD TAHOE aka what is a TAHOE?!
@ 2017-02-24  3:38 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-02-24  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:33:54AM +0800, jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com wrote:
>    I’ve always wondered what on earth a TAHOE was, as they disappeared
>    just about as quickly as they came out.  As we all know that they were
>    instrumental from separating out the VAX code from 4.3BSD in the
>    official CSRG source.  I was looking through old usenet stuff when I
>    typed in something wrong, and came across people looking for GCC for
>    the Tahoe running BSD.
>    ([1]http://altavista.superglobalmegacorp.com/usenet/b128/comp/sys/tahoe
>    /79.txt)

I've exploded the Unix-related parts of the Usenet archive from UTZoo,
so you can look here for more Tahoe postings:

http://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.sys.tahoe/

Cheers, Warren

P.S Also http://www.tuhs.org/Usenet
From: jsteve @ 2017-02-24  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I went one further, and loaded the old AltaVista desktop search tool, extracted all the usenet, added .txt extensions to make Windows happy, and converted them to something IIS can deal with, then setup Apache to de-mangle the pages, and a stunnel connection from Apache to the AltaVista desktop search as it only listens on 127.0.0.1:9988 .. So the upshot is that you can search the usenet archive via AltaVista

http://altavista.superglobalmegacorp.com

I know there is a million ‘modern’ ways to do this, but I had though this was cooler.

>    I’ve always wondered what on earth a TAHOE was, as they disappeared
>    just about as quickly as they came out.  As we all know that they
were
>    instrumental from separating out the VAX code from 4.3BSD in the
>    official CSRG source.  I was looking through old usenet stuff when
>    typed in something wrong, and came across people looking for GCC
for
>    the Tahoe running BSD.

([1]http://altavista.superglobalmegacorp.com/usenet/b128/comp/sys/tahoe
>    /79.txt)

I've exploded the Unix-related parts of the Usenet archive from UTZoo,
so you can look here for more Tahoe postings:

http://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.sys.tahoe/

Cheers, Warren

P.S Also http://www.tuhs.org/Usenet

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 4.3BSD TAHOE aka what is a TAHOE?!
@ 2017-02-24  4:23 ` Erik E. Fair
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik E. Fair @ 2017-02-24  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aside from being the name of the very large lake I live near, the
"Tahoe" was a system from Computer Consoles, Inc. (CCI):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Consoles_Inc.

	Erik

* [TUHS] 4.3BSD TAHOE aka what is a TAHOE?!
@ 2017-02-24  4:27   ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-24  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017, at 20:23, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> Aside from being the name of the very large lake I live near, the
> "Tahoe" was a system from Computer Consoles, Inc. (CCI):
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Consoles_Inc.
>
> 	Erik

Have you ever seen a picture of one, though? ;)

I found a picture of the Harris system once...tried to track down who
owns the IP, too.

It got really confusing when it split between Nortel and someone else...
--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] 4.3BSD TAHOE aka what is a TAHOE?!
@ 2017-02-24  4:33   ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2017-02-24  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

It was mostly a processor set.  It was resold by Harris, Unisys and CCI.  The Harris HCX-9 is the interesting one though.

@ 2017-02-24  4:35     ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2017-02-24  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

As a matter of fact, I’ve found 2 images….

https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Harris-HCX-9-print-ad.jpg

https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Oracle-worker.png

Something tells me this was neither light, nor was it quite.

  b4 at gewt.net

-------------- next part --------------

@ 2017-02-24  4:36       ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-24  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017, at 20:35, jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com wrote:

> As a matter of fact, I’ve found 2 images….

> https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Harris-HCX-9-print-ad.jpg
>

> https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Oracle-worker.png
>

> Something tells me this was neither light, nor was it quite.

> Sent from Mail[1] for Windows 10

> *From: *Cory Smelosky[2] *Sent: *Saturday, 25 February 2017 12:42 PM
> *To: *tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org *Subject: *Re: [TUHS] 4.3BSD TAHOE aka what
> is a TAHOE?!

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017, at 20:23, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> > Aside from being the name of the very large lake I live near, the
> > "Tahoe" was a system from Computer Consoles, Inc. (CCI):

> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Consoles_Inc.

> >             Erik

> Have you ever seen a picture of one, though? ;)

> I found a picture of the Harris system once...tried to track down who
> owns the IP, too.

> It got really confusing when it split between Nortel and
> someone else...
> --

>   Cory Smelosky

>   b4 at gewt.net

Has anyone tried contacting Harris for more info? :D

--

  Cory Smelosky

  b4 at gewt.net

Links:

  1. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
  2. mailto:b4 at gewt.net
-------------- next part --------------

@ 2017-02-24 21:30   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-02-24 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> Aside from being the name of the very large lake I live near, the
> "Tahoe" was a system from Computer Consoles, Inc. (CCI):
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Consoles_Inc.

Ahh...  I remember the CCI Power series very well.  IIRC, there was the
5/32 (a pissy little box, until the 5/32X came along, which actually did
the Right Thing (tm) when it implemented instruction restart correctly
upon a SEGV) and the 6/32 (we had the 8MHz board, whereas most users had
the 5MHz board; "we got cycles to burn!").

Those were the days, when geeks did their best but were over-ruled by the
marketoids; oh, the stories I could tell about my STC days (known by the
geeks as "Strangled Tangled and Confused), but I'm unsure about the
Statute of Limitations...

 -