The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Adventure shell / Doug Gwyn
@ 2017-06-27 16:19 David
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David @ 2017-06-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone here remember the Adventure Shell?

Doug wrote it back in 83, and I just stumbled across a copy in an RCS directory.

Invoked as ‘ash’ it was pretty clever.  I’ve lost the instructions and help files, however I’ve got the main script.

Back when people did weird things because it was fun.

	David

* [TUHS] Adventure shell / Doug Gwyn
@ 2017-06-27 17:39 ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2017-06-27 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/27/17 12:19 PM, David wrote:
> Does anyone here remember the Adventure Shell?

For a long time (through bash-4.2), I shipped it as one of the scripting
examples in the bash distribution.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/

* [TUHS] Adventure shell / Doug Gwyn
@ 2017-06-27 23:00 ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2017-06-27 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017, David <david at kdbarto.org> wrote:

> Does anyone here remember the Adventure Shell?
>
> Doug wrote it back in 83, and I just stumbled across a copy in an RCS
> directory.
>
> Invoked as ‘ash’ it was pretty clever.  I’ve lost the instructions and
> help files, however I’ve got the main script.
>
> Back when people did weird things because it was fun.

There is also the New Adventure Shell project.

   http://nadvsh.sourceforge.net/

--Andy
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Adventure shell / Doug Gwyn
@ 2017-06-28  0:07 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-06-28  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017, David wrote:

> Does anyone here remember the Adventure Shell?

I remember it well :-)

"THROW <file> TOWARDS PRINTER" (I think) would print it, "SAY xxx" would
"echo xxx" etc...