On Tue, 31 Oct 2017, Ronald Natalie wrote: > I’m a bizarre UNIX relic. I never learned vi. I went from “ed” to the > various emacs variants (starting with Warren Montgomery’s EMACS, then > JOVE and UNIPRESS, and later GNU). I used INed (a commercialization of > the Rand editor) but didn't particularly like that either. My coworkers > for years would be amused when if I found the machine had no EMACS > variant, I’d just use ed. I could be startlingly fast in ed and you do > learn regular expressions well if you have to do a lot of editing that > way. On a few machines where I’m confronted with VI and no ed/emacs, I > just use VI in “ex” mode. A previous boss insisted that all his support staff learn ED, because one day it might be the only editor available on a trashed box (you can't mount /usr etc). -- Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU) "Those who don't understand security will suffer."