On Sun, 18 Feb 2018, Norman Wilson wrote: > I also wrote a paper about the work, which was published in (of all > places) AUUGN. I haven't read it in years but it was probably a bit > snotty. It nevertheless ended up causing a local UNIX-systems-software > company to head-hunt me (but at the time I had no interest in leaving > Caltech), so it must not have been too rude. Norman is obviously too modest to toot his own trumpet, so me being me I'll do it for him: AUUGN-V04.2.pdf A bastardized paging UNIX ABSTRACT One of the VAXes in the Caltech High Energy Physics Group runs a peculiar hybrid of several versions of UNIX. Its principle claim to fame is that it is recognizably a variant of UNIX/TS, but has virtual memory code grafted in from Berkeley’s 4BSD. It is also compatible with the UNIX/TS system run on our PDP-II/45. This paper is meant to give some idea of what our system is, why it exists, and how much effort went into its creation. My favourite quote: Philosophy - We feel that many of Berkeley’s changes to the system and the supporting programs are unnecessary, un-UNIX-like, and just plain silly. To take a favourite example: anyone who will add a flag to _cat_ to make it number lines, remove blank lines, and make control characters visible, rather than writing separate filters, simply doesn’t understand what UNIX is all about. Well said, bro! -- Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU) "Those who don't understand security will suffer."