The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] RIP Robert Taylor
@ 2018-04-12 21:47 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

We lost Robert Taylor, computer scientist and Internet pioneer, on this
day in 2017.  Amongst other things, he helped invent the mouse, pioneered
computer communications leading up to ARPAnet, developed the computer
science lab at Xerox...

* [TUHS] RIP Robert Taylor
@ 2018-04-12 23:33 ` Lawrence Stewart
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2018-04-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here’s the obit I wrote at the time.

http://larry.stewart.org/2017/04/14/bob-taylor/ <http://larry.stewart.org/2017/04/14/bob-taylor/>

-Larry

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] RIP Robert Taylor
@ 2018-04-13  0:26   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-04-13  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Lawrence Stewart wrote:

> Here’s the obit I wrote at the time.
> http://larry.stewart.org/2017/04/14/bob-taylor/

Many thanks!  I love this bit:

     At Xerox, the weekly group meetings were called Dealer, as in Dealer’s
     choice.  The speaker set the rules.  The culture was for the audience
     to do their level best to challenge the ideas.  Bob talked about
     civility, and about the necessity of “turning type one disagreements
     into type two disagreements”.  A type two disagreement is where each
     party understands and can explain the position of the other.

We can all learn something from that...

* [TUHS] RIP Robert Taylor
@ 2018-04-13  0:33     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-04-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:26:00AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>
> >Here???s the obit I wrote at the time.
> >http://larry.stewart.org/2017/04/14/bob-taylor/
>
> Many thanks!  I love this bit:
>
>     At Xerox, the weekly group meetings were called Dealer, as in Dealer???s
>     choice.  The speaker set the rules.  The culture was for the audience
>     to do their level best to challenge the ideas.  Bob talked about
>     civility, and about the necessity of ???turning type one disagreements
>     into type two disagreements???.  A type two disagreement is where each
>     party understands and can explain the position of the other.
>
> We can all learn something from that...

Indeed.  The part about fishing the recording out of the core dump was cool
too.

Thanks for that obit Larry, nicely done!