On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Arrigo Triulzi wrote: >> for the microcode to customers. There were several hacks in there to >> slow down the disk I/O so that it didn't outperform the model 30. > > Is this the origin of the lore on “the IBM slowdown device”? If I remember my computer lore correctly, wasn't the difference between the Cyber 72 and the 73 just a timing capacitor, if you knew which board? And I still reckon that the olde 360/20 (I did see the console for one) should never have been part of the 360 series; * It had a HALT instruction! * It had about half the instruction set. * Half the number of registers, and width. * Floating point? What's that? Etc. A triumph of marketing over engineering... -- Dave, who did his CompSci thesis on the 360...