On Wed, 29 Aug 2018, Clem Cole wrote: [ Excellent screed elided ] > That said, I give the Linux folks great credit for the addition of > modules was huge and it took BSD and the other UNIX systems a few years > really pick up that idea in the same way (yes Solaris, Tru64 and > eventually HPUX etc.. had something too but again - my comment about > being generally available applies). Wasn't SunOS first with dynamic kernel modules, or is my memory worse than I thought? Linux may have been around at the time, but we never used in the shop until much later (Red Hat, nicknamed Dead Rat). > So here is the issue, how to do move the ball forward?   BSD, then > Linux, became the 'stronger strain' and pushed out the old version.  >  The problem is the ROMs in my fingers (like Dave) never got > reprogrammed so some of the 'new' becomes annoying.   Will I learned to > like systemd?   We shall see... Never mind "systemd"; I'm having enough trouble coming to grips with "launchd" on the Mac... Gimme /etc/inetd.conf any time. -- Dave