The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Testing...  Or, Why I Did It My Way (tm)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 10:26:31 +1000 (EST)	[thread overview]

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Sorry for the noise, but this list is awfully quiet.

OK, here's the story...  Oh, Arthur, your SPF rejected me due to what is
likely a YATS (Yet Another Telstra Screwup); I've since removed the record
(it was just a place-holder anyway) but I forgot to update the TTL first.

First, for the non-Aussies here, a simple glossary:

NBN: National Broadband Network.  Also known as No Brain Network, it's our
national network infrastructure, powered (if that's the right word) by an
ugly mix of technologies, viz: FTTP (which I have), FTTN (which most
people have - sort of ADSL on steroids), FTTC (a new innovation), HFC (for
those with cable), and for all I know tribal drums.  Supposed to be FTTP
to everyone, until the incoming conservative government decided that FTTP
everywhere was far too good for the sheeple.

Telstra: Technically Telstra BigPond, it's the biggest ISP in the country,
one of the most expensive, and likely the worst, service-wise.  Fondly
known as T$, Helstra etc, I think the only reason I stick with them is
Stockholm Syndrome (that, and a 2 year contract).

Now, you cannot contact NBN directly; you have to go through your ISP (in
my case T$) i.e. speak to the monkey, not the organ-grinder.

OK...  Full story for the morbidly interested available on request as a
redacted version of my complaint to Telstra; hell, if I'm in an ugly
enough mood I'll put it on my web page (it's an RTF file).

My NBN service was cut off on 25th March, when NBN themselves not only
sliced through my fibre cable at the adjacent pit but for good measure
also disconnected it from the concentrator in the next pit; they are yet
to explain just why, but they couldn't've done a better job of sabotaging
my service if they'd tried.

After much to-ing and fro-ing with T$'s helldesk (broken promises to turn
up, return calls, etc), I finally had service restored on 20th May; that's
57 days (yes, I received a credit for lack of service, but not for the
mobile (ObUS: cellular) calls that I had to make on a competing service).

A nice new wireless router was supplied with automatic (I think) 4G backup
(naturally with little documentation), but I realised that the port
forwarding rules were the same as my old router (a Technicolor F@st 5355).

Of course I got auto-unsubscribed from various mailing lists; the trick
was to figure out which ones...  FreeBSD-ports didn't notice my absence,
and neither did Krebs on Security; I've since tracked down a few more and
re-subscribed.

Now, this is where TUHS comes in.  Hmmm...  Awfully quiet, yet it's
supposed to be an active list.  Am I still subscribed?  Quickest way to
find out is to post to it, and a well-run mailing list will return a
snotty-gram along with an URL.

Did I get one?  Nope.  Was it accepted?  Apparently so...

So, why isn't any traffic coming my way?  And for the smart-arses (ObUS:
smart-asses) out there who think I must be blocking it, nope, I watch my
mail reject log like a hawk (I have all sorts of reporting scripts) and
Minnie was definitely not there.

Are you still here, Warren?  I did email you, but no reply so far (and no
reject either, otherwise I would've spotted *that* too).

If anyone has a better way to determine list membership other than by
posting to it then I'm all ears/eyes; there are just too many ways to
subscribe these days (not everyone uses Mailman, and some are by
invitation only).

Happy, now?

Hours spend on this sh1t so far, and hours yet to go...

-- Dave