The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] user-level v1
@ 2019-09-15 16:17 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2019-09-15 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

The TUHS archive does not include /usr/src for v1. Does it
exist anywhere?

doug

* Re: [TUHS] user-level v1
@ 2019-09-15 20:11 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-09-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McIlroy; +Cc: tuhs

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 12:17:52PM -0400, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> The TUHS archive does not include /usr/src for v1. Does it
> exist anywhere?

We've not been able to find it, no :-(

Cheers Doug,
	Warren

* Re: [TUHS] user-level v1
@ 2019-09-15 22:09   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-09-15 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, Warren Toomey wrote:

>> The TUHS archive does not include /usr/src for v1. Does it exist
>> anywhere?
>
> We've not been able to find it, no :-(

Speaking of which, I heard that the curses library was simply ripped out
of VI and made stand-alone; a rumour goes that the best test suite for
curses was the game "rogue" :-)  I still play it from time to time, but
cannot get rog-o-matic to compile on the Mac.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] user-level v1
@ 2019-09-15 23:15     ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2019-09-15 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Yes, Ken Arnold did both

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

> On Sep 15, 2019, at 6:09 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>>> The TUHS archive does not include /usr/src for v1. Does it exist anywhere?
>>
>> We've not been able to find it, no :-(
>
> Speaking of which, I heard that the curses library was simply ripped out of VI and made stand-alone; a rumour goes that the best test suite for curses was the game "rogue" :-)  I still play it from time to time, but cannot get rog-o-matic to compile on the Mac.
>
> -- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] user-level v1
@ 2019-09-16  6:03       ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-09-16  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave, clemc; +Cc: tuhs

No, Bill Joy did vi.  Ken Arnold did curses.  The vi code did all it's
stuff directly with the termlib library calls. (Use The Source, Luke!)
Curses provided a library explicitly for screen oriented stuff that worked
at a higher level.

Mary Anne can and should tell the story of the progression of curses
to System V and terminfo.

Arnold

Clem cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> Yes, Ken Arnold did both
>
> Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

> >> We've not been able to find it, no :-(
> >
> > Speaking of which, I heard that the curses library was simply ripped out of VI and made stand-alone; a rumour goes that the best test suite for curses was the game "rogue" :-)  I still play it from time to time, but cannot get rog-o-matic to compile on the Mac.
> >
> > -- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] user-level v1
@ 2019-09-16 14:40         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-09-16 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)