The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Question: stdio - Who invented and ...
@ 2020-03-23 10:18 Ed Bradford
From: Ed Bradford @ 2020-03-23 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

I've forgotten who created stdio, USG or the research group. Can any of the
youthful BTL folks of the 1970's refresh my mind.

Given that stdio was invented and, in my opinion at the time, a reasonable
and usable standard interface to IO on Unix, I am curious why no standard
for networking was developed or proposed and discussed. Sockets just
defined a new and very quirky IO interface for Unix based systems.

Was any thought given to defining networking
using the
  creat/open/read/write/close/mknod/link/unlink/chmod/chown

model of IO in UNIX?

Ed Bradford

--
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.
  Cicero