On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Clem Cole wrote: > I always recommend doing the exercises in Rob and Brian's UPE on ed > because then everything else makes sense, like sed or any other editor.  >  Plus you get the advantage you point out, and the reality is that so > many simpler editors (like edlin) have similar functionality, it means > you can get something done, just about anywhere. There was also the client we had in PNG, where access was via a flakey 1200 modem i.e. no error correction, and VI was out of the question. I learned to use ED when V5 first appeared (down-under) in the 70s (it was the *only* editor) and I'm glad that I did. I must grab a copy of UPE and read it again, just for old times' sake. -- Dave