* [TUHS] How accurate are those AUUGN scans?
@ 2020-09-27  0:54 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-09-27  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

When someone mentioned that they'd ported V6 to the 11/23, I recalled that
I did the same thing (well, V6 + the bits of AUSAM that I liked + the bits
of V7 that I could shoe-horn in), and went looking for the article that I
could've sworn I'd published, using "pdfgrep 23 AUUGN*" in my TUHS mirror.

And yes, I recall some hardware peculiarity which had to be worked around,
but I've forgotten the details (which is why I went looking).

I didn't find it (is there an index of articles anywhere?), but I did find
some peculiar typos, and I was wondering whether they were a result of
Google's (destructive) scanning, or were in the originals.

Here's a quick sample:

     AUUGN-V04.5.pdf:          tailored for smaller. PDP11s (such as the 11/23 or 11/34) in an

A period after "smaller".

     AUUGN-V04.6.pdf:     Unfortunately. the clever Code comes unstuck as the LSI-II/23 doesn't’t

The phrase "Unfortunately. the clever Code" looks wrong.

     AUUGN-V04.6.pdf:LSI-II/23 was changing the value of r! if the V-bit gets set. It seemed

"r!" should be "r1" (a possible typo, as they are the same key)..

     AUUGN-V04.6.pdf:      bio23 (662 2668)                    Elec. Eng., UNSW,

This is a weirdie; "bio23" (one of my clients) was never a part of Elec
Eng (they were their own school), so I suspect a mistake here; it's
possible, however, that they were in the same building.

     AUUGN-V04.6.pdf:        PDP 11/23 + FPU.                 RK05, RL02, DRIIb

I believe that "DR11b" should be "DR11B".

     AUUGN-V05.1.pdf:     PDP 11/23 - System III (Ausam)., 256k, 2xR102, 16 lines

AUSAM under System III, on a mere 11/23?  I very much doubt it...  Also,
"R102" should probably be "RL02".

     AUUGN-V05.1.pdf:    PDP 11/23, Q bus + qniverter, RK05, Pertec dual RK05, DEC dual cassette,

I suspect that "qniverter" was a typo on the part of the author.

As a bit of a Unix historian it would be a shame if those AUUGN scans were
less than accurate; I no longer have my hard copies (lost in a house
move), so perhaps someone could check their copies?

Thanks.

-- Dave

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-09-27  0:55 UTC | newest]