On Mon, 25 Jan 2021, John Cowan wrote: > I've been messing around with X.680, aka ASN/1.  Its reputation for > horrible evilness, I find, primarily comes from the Packed Encoding > Rules and the interface with statically typed languages, both of which > require dealing with the schema language programmatically.  But if you > want to drive it from a dynamically typed language, it's dirt simple: to > write, see what data type you have, output a type and length and value > (or type and value and terminator), and there you are. I was never quite sure what to make of ASN.1 and BER; it seemed to solve the problem of OpenLDAP applications talking to each other (and I got quite good at reading wire traces), but it somehow seemed wrong when every box was running FreeBSD on Intel/AMD. -- Dave