On Tue, 2 Feb 2021, Richard Salz wrote: > BBN made a machine "optimized" for C.  It was used in the first > generation ARPAnet gateways. > > A word was 10bits.  The amount of masking we had to do for some portable > software was unreal. I'm trying to get my head around a 10-bit machine optimised for C... Well, if you accept that chars are 10 bits wide then there shouldn't be (much of) a problem; just forget about the concept of powers of 2, I guess. Shades of the 60-bit CDC series, as handling strings was a bit of a bugger; at least the 12-bit PDP-8 was sort of manageable. -- Dave