On Wed, 3 Feb 2021, Peter Jeremy wrote: > I'm not sure that 16 (or any other 2^n) bits is that obvious up front. > Does anyone know why the computer industry wound up standardising on > 8-bit bytes? Best reason I can think of is System/360 with 8-bit EBCDIC (Ugh! Who said that "J" should follow "I"?). I'm told that you could coerce it into using ASCII, although I've never seen it. > Scientific computers were word-based and the number of bits in a word is > more driven by the desired float range/precision. Commercial computers > needed to support BCD numbers and typically 6-bit characters. ASCII > (when it turned up) was 7 bits and so 8-bit characters wasted ⅛ of the > storage. Minis tended to have shorter word sizes to minimise the amount > of hardware. Why would you want to have a 7-bit symbol? Powers of two seem to be natural on a binary machine (although there is a running joke that CDC boxes has 7-1/2 bit bytes... I guess the real question is why did we move to binary machines at all; were there ever any ternary machines? -- Dave