The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-16 20:33 Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-02-16 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

All,

I'm tooling along during our newfangled rolling blackouts and frigid
temperatures (in Texas!) and reading some good old unix books. I keep
coming across the commands cut and paste and join and suchlike. I use
cut all the time for stuff like:

ls -l | tr -s ' '| cut -f1,4,9 -d \
-rw-r--r-- staff main.rs

and

who | grep wsenn | cut -c 1-8,10-17
wsenn   console
wsenn   ttys000

but that's just cuz it's convenient and useful.

To my knowledge, I've never used paste or join outside of initially
coming across them. But, they seem to 'fit' with cut. My question for
y'all is, was there a subset of related utilities that these were part
of that served some common purpose? On a related note, join seems like
part of an aborted (aka never fully realized) attempt at a text based
rdb to me...

What say you?

Will

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-16 21:02 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-02-16 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, Will Senn wrote:

> To my knowledge, I've never used paste or join outside of initially
> coming across them. But, they seem to 'fit' with cut. My question for
> y'all is, was there a subset of related utilities that these were part
> of that served some common purpose? On a related note, join seems like
> part of an aborted (aka never fully realized) attempt at a text based
> rdb to me...

I use "cut" a fair bit, rarely use "paste", but as for "join" and RDBs,
just look at the man page: "join — relational database operator".  As for
future use, who knows?  Could be a fun project for someone with time on
their hands (not me!).

-- Dave, who once implemented a "join" operation with BDB

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-16 21:06 ` Dennis Boone
From: Dennis Boone @ 2021-02-16 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

 > To my knowledge, I've never used paste or join outside of initially
 > coming across them. But, they seem to 'fit' with cut. My question for
 > y'all is, was there a subset of related utilities that these were
 > part of that served some common purpose? On a related note, join
 > seems like part of an aborted (aka never fully realized) attempt at a
 > text based rdb to me...

My copy is hiding from me, so I can't be sure, but iirc Bourne's _The
Unix System_ (978-0-201-13791-0) had a section on this sort of "text
database" and may have discussed the `join` command.

De

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-16 21:15   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-02-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2/16/21 3:02 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, Will Senn wrote:
>
>> To my knowledge, I've never used paste or join outside of initially
>> coming across them. But, they seem to 'fit' with cut. My question for
>> y'all is, was there a subset of related utilities that these were
>> part of that served some common purpose? On a related note, join
>> seems like part of an aborted (aka never fully realized) attempt at a
>> text based rdb to me...
>
> I use "cut" a fair bit, rarely use "paste", but as for "join" and
> RDBs, just look at the man page: "join — relational database
> operator".  As for future use, who knows?  Could be a fun project for
> someone with time on their hands (not me!).
>
> -- Dave, who once implemented a "join" operation with BDB

Oh brother! RTFM... properly... :). Still, I'm curious about the history.

Will

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-16 21:26     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-02-16 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, Will Senn wrote:

> Oh brother! RTFM... properly... :). Still, I'm curious about the
> history.

We all have our moments :-)  Yes, I'd like to know the history too; those
tools definitely have a database-ish look about them.  All the bits seem
to be there; they just have to be, ahem, joined together...

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-22  5:57       ` Tomasz Rola
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2021-02-22  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 08:26:11PM -0600, Will Senn wrote:
[...]
> Oops. That's right, no username & password, but you still need to
> bring it up and interact with it... accept, as you say, you can
> enter your sql as an argument to the executable. OK, I suppose ...
> grump, grump... Not quite what I was thinking, but I'd be hard
> pressed to argue the difference between creating a handful of files
> in the filesystem (vs tables in sqlite) and then using some unix
> filter utilities to access and combine the file relations (vs
> passing sql to sqlite) other than, it'd be fun if there were select,
> col, row (grep?), join (inner, outer, natural), utils that worked
> with text without the need to worry about the finickiness of the
> database (don't stone me as a database unbeliever, I've used plenty
> in my day).

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but sections 3 and
4 of "The AWK Programming Language" (by Aho, Kernighan and Weinberger)
have a description of very nice data processing scripts written in
AWK. Might even work in gawk. Might even work, actually - I had no
time to write the code into files and give it a try.

Personally, I would rather use awk for this rather than multiple
command line utilities. Might be a bit nicer to modern system with
process accounting enabled (I once wrote a shell script processing
mailbox files, plenty of echos and greps, but since then have seen the
light and I repented). On the other hand, on multiprocessor computer,
each part of pipe runs in parallel, but I guess this had been said
already.

Also, found this in my notes - if you, or anybody from a future would
like a quick glimpse on "what awk":

 :: Drinking coffee with AWK

https://lobste.rs/s/hdljia/drinking_coffee_with_awk

https://opensource.com/article/19/2/drinking-coffee-awk

 :: Using AWK and R to parse 25tb

https://lobste.rs/s/kgah5l/using_awk_r_parse_25tb

https://livefreeordichotomize.com/2019/06/04/using_awk_and_r_to_parse_25tb/

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-18 20:41 ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2021-02-18 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Walden; +Cc: tuhs

The Plan 9 version of pq can be found here:

https://9p.io/sources/extra/pq.tgz

Cheers,
  Anthony

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-18 20:20 Brian Walden
From: Brian Walden @ 2021-02-18 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

The last group before I left the labs in 1992 was on was the
POST team.

pq stood for "post query," but POST consisted of -
- mailx: (from SVR3.1) as the mail user agent
- UPAS: (from research UNIX) as the mail delivery agent
- pq: the program to query the database
- EV: (pronounced like the biblical name) the database (and the
  genesis program to create indices)
- post: program to combine all the above to read email and to send mail via queries

pq by default would looku up people
  pq lastname:     find all people with lastname, same as pq last=lastname
  pq first.last:   find all people with first last, same as pq first=first/last=last
  pq first.m.last: find all people with first m last, same as pq first=first/middle=m/last=last

this how email to dennis.m.ritchie @ att.com worked to send it on to research!dmr

you could send mail to a whole department via /org=45267 or the whole division
via /org=45 or a whole location via /loc=mh or just the two people in a specific
office via /loc=mh/room=2f-164
these are "AND"s an "OR" is just another query after it on the same line

There were some special extentions -
- prefix, e.g.  pq mackin* got all mackin, mackintosh, mackinson, etc
- soundex, e.g. pq mackin~ got all with the last name that sounding like mackin,
    so names such as mackin, mckinney, mckinnie, mickin, mikami, etc
    (mackintosh and mackinson did not match the soundex, therefore not included)

The EV database was general and fairly simple. It was directory with
files called "Data" and "Proto" in it.
"Data" was plain text, pipe delineated fields, newline separated records -

 123456|ritchie|dennis|m||r320|research!dmr|11273|mh|2c-517|908|582|3770

   (used data from preserved at https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/)

"Proto" defined the fields in a record (I didn't remember exact syntax anymore) -

 id       n i
 last     a i
 first    a i
 middle   a -
 suffix   a -
 soundex  a i
 email    a i
 org      n i
 loc      a i
 room     a i
 area     n i
 exch     n i
 ext      n i

"n" means a number so 00001 was the same as 1, and "a" means alpha, the "i" or "-"
told genesis if an index should be generated or not. I think is had more but
that has faded with the years.

If indices are generated it would then point to the block number in Data, so an lseek(2)
could get to the record quick. I beleive there was two levels of block pointing indices.
(sort of like inode block pointers had direct and indirect blocks)
So everytime you added records to Data you had to regenerate all the indices, that was
very time consuming.

The nice thing about text Data was grep(1) worked just fine, or cut -d'|' or awk -F'|'
but pq was much faster with a large numer of records.

-Brian

Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that Andrew has addressed Daytona, but there was a small database
> package called `pq` that shipped with plan9 at one point that I believe
> started life on Unix. It was based on "flat" text files as the underlying
> data source, and one would describe relations internally using some
> mechanism (almost certainly another special file). An interesting feature
> was that it was "implicitly relational": you specified the data you wanted
> and it constructed and executed a query internally: no need to "JOIN"
> tables on attributes and so forth. I believe it supported indices that were
> created via a special command. I think it was used as the data source for
> the AT&T internal "POST" system. A big downside was that you could not add
> records to the database in real time.
>
> It was taken to Cibernet Inc (they did billing reconciliation for wireless
> carriers. That is, you have an AT&T phone but make a call that's picked up
> by T-Mobile's tower: T-Mobile lets you make the call but AT&T has to pay
> them for the service. I contracted for them for a short time when I got out
> of the Marine Corps---the first time) and enhanced and renamed "Eteron" and
> the record append issue was, I believe, solved. Sadly, I think that
> technology was lost when Cibernet was acquired. It was kind of cool.
>
>         - Dan C.

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-17 23:58           ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-02-17 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Gilmore; +Cc: TUHS main list, Grant Taylor

@ 2021-02-17 20:49         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-02-17 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:

> Then there's the fact that some consider file systems to be a big DB
> that is mounted.  }:-)

It is; it's a hierarchical DB (and is still used as such).

-- Dave, who remembers the hierarchical/relational DB wars

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-17 14:52           ` Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2021-02-17 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Gilmore; +Cc: TUHS main list

daytona was always a separate commercial product.
it was an extremely large, very efficient database.
you should think of it as analogous to a large postgres system.
rick greer was the primary author; an overview paper is
http://www09.sigmod.org/sigmod/sigmod99/eproceedings/papers/greer.pdf

for many years, probably now as well, it was the main way that
at&t stored per-call information. as of the mid 2000s, it had over 2 trillion
calls in it.

> On Feb 17, 2021, at 2:14 AM, John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> wrote:
>
> Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>> I don't know where the line is to transition from stock text files and
>> an actual DB.  I naively suspect that by the time you need an index, you
>> should have transitioned to a DB.
>
> Didn't AT&T Research at some point write a database, called Daytona,
> that worked like ordinary Unix commands?  E.g. it just sat there in disk
> files when you weren't using it.  There was no "database server".  When
> you wanted to do some operation on it, you ran a command, which read the
> database and did what you wanted and wrote out results and stopped and
> returned to the shell prompt.  How novel!
>
> Supposedly it had high performance on large collections of data,
> with millions or billions of records.  Things like telephone billing
> data.
>
> I found a couple of conference papers about it, but never saw specs for
> it, not even man pages.  How did Daytona fit into Unix history?  Was
> it ever part of a Unix release?
>
> 	John

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-17 10:14         ` John Gilmore
From: John Gilmore @ 2021-02-17 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2021-02-17  4:08       ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2021-02-17  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2/16/21 7:26 PM, Will Senn wrote:
> Oops. That's right, no username & password, but you still need to bring
> it up and interact with it... accept, as you say, you can enter your sql
> as an argument to the executable. OK, I suppose ... grump, grump...

;-)

Take a moment and grump.  I know that I've made similar mistakes from
unknown options.

> Not quite what I was thinking, but I'd be hard pressed to argue the
> difference between creating a handful of files in the filesystem
> (vs tables in sqlite) and then using some unix filter utilities to
> access and combine the file relations (vs passing sql to sqlite)

I don't know where the line is to transition from stock text files and
an actual DB.  I naively suspect that by the time you need an index, you
should have transitioned to a DB.

> other than, it'd be fun if there were select, col, row (grep?), join
> (inner, outer, natural), utils that worked with text without the need
> to worry about the finickiness of the database

I'm confident that it's quite possible to do similar types of, if not
actually the same, operation with traditional Unix utilities vs SQL, at
least for relatively simple queries.

The last time I looked, join didn't want to work on more than two inputs
at one time.  So you're left with something like two different joins,
one of which working on the output from the other one.

I suspect that one of the differences is where the data lives.  If it's
STDIO, then traditional Unix utilities are king.  If it's something
application specific and only accessed by said application, then a DB is
probably a better bet.

Then there's the fact that some consider file systems to be a big DB
that is mounted.  }:-)

> (don't stone me as a database unbeliever, I've used plenty in my day).

Use of something does not implicitly make you a supporter of or advocate
for something.  ;-)

I like SQLite and Berkeley DB in that they don't require a full RDBMS
running.  Instead, an application can load what it needs and access the
DB itself.

I don't remember how many files SQLite uses to store a DB.  A single (or
few) file(s) make it relatively easy to exchange DBs with people.  E.g.
someone can populate the DB and then send copies of it to coworkers for
their distributed use.  Something that's harder to do with a typical RDBMS.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-17  3:29   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-02-17  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: TUHS main list

I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but there is no login in SQLite: its
only access control is at the DB level, and that's Unix file permissions.

Carl Strozzi's NOSQL system (not to be confused with the concept of NoSQL
databases) is a relational database built using ordinary Unix utilities and
pipelines.  Each table is a TSV file with a header line whose fields are
the column names prefixed by ^A so that they always sort to the top.  It
also provides commands like "jointable", which is "join" wrapped in an awk
script that collects the column names from the tables and does a natural
join.

The package can be downloaded from <
http://www.strozzi.it/shared/nosql/nosql-4.1.11.tar.gz>.  The documentation
is shonky, but the code works nicely.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 8:17 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/21 7:08 PM, M Douglas McIlroy wrote:
>
> Will Senn wrote,
>
> join seems like part of an aborted (aka never fully realized) attempt at a text based rdb to me
>
> As the original author of join, I can attest that there was no thought
> of parlaying join into a database system. It was inspired by
> databases, but liberated from them, much as grep was liberated from an
> editor.
>
> Doug
>
> Nice! Thanks Doug. Too bad, though... one gets ever tired of having to log
> into db's and a simple text db system would be useful. Even sqlite, which I
> love, requires login to get at information... I'm already logged in, why
> can't I just ask for my info and have it returned?
>
> Will

* Re: [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
@ 2021-02-17  2:26     ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-02-17  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)