On Wed, 14 Jul 2021, Michael Kjörling wrote: >> In 1992, 386BSD is released by Lynne and William Jolitz, starting the >> open source operating system movement (Linux didn't come along under >> later). > > Are you sure? Wikipedia claims that it happened the other way around; > that the Linux kernel initial release was 0.02 on 5 Oct 1991, while the > 386BSD initial release was 0.0 on 12 March 1992. Could be; I got that news from one of those daily history sites (I don't always trust Wikipedia). > It seems that work on 386BSD began earlier than work on Linux, but that > the initial release of Linux was earlier than the initial release of > 386BSD. That could be the source of the confusion. -- Dave