On Wed, 16 Feb 2022, Leah Neukirchen wrote: > Apparently it was a popular benchmark back in the day: > https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/AUUGN/AUUGN-V05.1.pdf Yep. > > The benchmark was "echo 99k2vp8opq I /bin/time dc > /dev/null’. It > > uses dc (the desk calculator) to calculate the square root of 2 to 99 > > decimal places, Ugh; that "I" ought to be "|" (and I can see other typos), so someone really needs to proofread those PDF scans if they're going to be regarded as authoritative. Yes, I can help... > > This benchmark has been applied to a large number of machines° It has > > (up until now) been useful because most manufacturers have not > > optimised dc, so the results are not likely to have been distorted by > > attempts to optimise for benchmarks. Indeed, when a lot of compilers recognised the Sieve of Eratosthenes being used and optimised for it... Wasn't all that long ago that vehicle manufacturers also started doing the same thing :-) > > Wicat 150WS 27.3 sec > > Unison 32.6 sec The WICAT 150 was just a terminal with several serial ports, and was p*ss-awful (I worked for Lionel Singer, and had to support the poxy thing); I'm surprised that it beat another box, though... > I looks like V7 dc used 100-limbs internally, so printing in decimal was > fast, but printing in octal required conversion. Yep; extra work for the CPU. Not much of a benchmark these days, as CPUs are really fast; when I was supporting Unify I used to use its automatic tutorial as a benchmark, and I used to joke that I needed a calendar on some boxes... Trivia: Lionel Singer also sold the then-new Sun-3, and we had one set up at an AUUG conference, giggling whenever someone tried that benchmark; what they didn't know was that the prominent window was actually an "rlogin" to the Gould that we also sold... The looks on their faces were priceless :-) -- Dave