On Thu, 4 Jul 2024, Adam Thornton wrote: > ARM or one of the smaller RISC-V flavor-sets (RISC-V is super-modular) > would be a perfectly reasonable architecture to learn these days.  After > the PDP-11 but before ARM I'd'a suggested 68000.  Definitely NOT x86 and > its betentacled descendants.  Even so, you'd still want to treat it (if > you're learning "how do computers work?") as if it were not superscalar, > even though it obviously is.  Which I guess is pushing me into "please > let me just pretend it's a PDP-11 and keep all the scary pipelining and > speculative execution and all the things that are hard to reason about > below the layer where I need to care" territory. Pretty much anything with a linear address space, an orthogonal instruction set, and a stack will do, I think. Was it John Gilmore who said "Segment registers are for worms"? I dips me lid to those souls who implemented ALGOLW on the 360... > And yeah, if you need me to sweep the floors, I'll sweep the floors, but > if I'm needed to sweep the floors often, there's a management problem > here, in that you can hire people who are much better at sweeping floors > than I am for much less money than you hired me to do software > engineering for. I've worked in places where I've swept the floor (and also did the dishes etc); I'll still need to be paid the same salary, though :-) -- Dave