The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: lyricalnanoha@dosius.ath.cx (lyricalnanoha)
Subject: [TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 42, Issue 1
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 00:07:23 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Larry McVoy wrote:

> No offense intended, but why waste time on 386 (or even way more time on
> 286)?  I can't imagine that anyone has any of those machines anymore.

I've got an Apple //e (65SC02, 1 MHz, 128K RAM).

> And if anyone is so broke that they do and can't afford a newer machine
> I have piles of celeron boxes looking for a home.  300-500mhz with 64-128M
> and probably a broken disk but maybe it works.  You pay shipping and they
> are yours.  If you are doing interesting work and you are really broke
> I'll pay shipping.

How much? If you've still got a bunch, I might look into it when my next
check comes in. I could use a spare box to throw BSD on for
experimentation :P

> But 286?  Come on.  Let it go, it sucked.  I can almost see the point of
> 386 except that nobody has one.

I did a lot of my development work on a 386/25 (upgraded from a 286) but
that was 7 years ago.

-uso.