On Thu, 23 Dec 2021, Dr Iain Maoileoin wrote: > Interesting - have you always done that?  Or is it a more recent use of the > word? > > 50 years ago our (Scottish) schooling used only Arithmetic for the basic > number manipulation.  About 10-15 years ago maffs became the name.  I dont > know how the transition occured with us. Schools?  or Media??  Perhaps we > have just imported the name from the good old US of A ;-) It was the norm in the US at least around 1985ish. Can't speak for earlier. -uso.