On Sun, 30 Jan 2022, Nemo Nusquam wrote: > On 2022-01-30 17:51, Dan Cross wrote (in part): >> Not really. As an interesting aside, before Java became widespread I heard >> folks mention "P-code" as a generic term for what most folks mean when they >> say "bytecode." Now we often just say "bytecode." > > Wirth called his Pascal bytecode P-code and his Modula bytecode M-code.  Why > did Gosling not call his bytecode "J-code"? And I think I've heard the Infocom compilers' bytecode called "Z-code" (I use this term too). -uso.