On Thu, 8 Sep 2022, Larry McVoy wrote: > On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 08:05:44PM -0400, Steve Nickolas wrote: >> >> I'm probably the only one brazen enough to put it to the test. >> >> For some years, I've wanted to create a free implementation of System V, and >> then move on from there. (I know there's limited utility for such a thing, >> because of the BSDs.) > > Why? Have you booted 32V? Run in it for a while? No VM, no networking, > very basic system. Other than historical, I don't understand the point. Wasn't so much about 32V itself, as 32V being potentially clear and the source for a lot of SysV, that having 32V would make rewriting SysV a lot easier. 🤪 I've used v7/386, which is probably a comparable system. >> A few things actually hinge on this. If it were considered a fact, and not >> a mere opinion, that 32V was PD, then I could be sure that certain things >> were safe to use, rather than having to rewrite (including some particularly >> tricky stuff the BSDs never fully reimplemented, like diff(1)). > > I'm a source management guy, I've written a couple of systems. I live and > breath diff and diff(1) is not in the slightest way hard. I wrote my own > version of SCCS in a way that you could get as many different versions of > the history as you wanted in one pass. That's a lot harder than diff(1). > > But maybe I don't understand what you think is tricky about diff, you > may have some insight I'm missing, care to share? I'm not actually that good a programmer. Step me through an algo, I can probably interpret that as C, BASIC, 6502 ASM or 8086 ASM - but whether I can implement it from just an explanation, that's hit or miss. Frequently I come up with stupid ideas that I think are beyond me, and often I'm right. Once in a while they're not, and I'm able to actually implement something. 😜 Stuff like diff or sccs might be easy for some people here - but I've spent months wracking my brain on things I think are simpler (6502 CPU core for example - which is why for 20 years I used others' cores) and been fruitless. -uso.