On Sun, 11 Dec 2022, Michael Kjörling wrote: > On 10 Dec 2022 19:22 -0500, from clemc@ccc.com (Clem Cole): >> My memory is there were also a bunch of two >> letter programs, rx/sx and rz/sz and the like. Frankly its been so long >> since I had any use for them, I've forgotten. > > I remember at least sz/rz from my early (for me) forays into UNIX, > back when ZModem was pretty much state of the art at least on micros > and I had files locally that I wanted remotely or vice versa. The > mnenomic being s(end)/r(eceive) z(modem); "send" and "receive", of > course, being local to the remote host, so the opposite sense of what > one would do with the terminal emulator program that one interacted > with locally. So "sz " at the prompt, then activate the > "receive ZModem transfer" function locally; or "rz ", then > activate the "send using ZModem" function locally. > > I think the host I was on at the time (which appears to have been some > Solaris) also offered XModem and YModem variants as [rs][xy], but I > never used those because someone had at some point told me that ZModem > was better. :-) Kind-of a pain to type as I'm SSHing in from my phone, but they still exist and I have "lrzsz" installed on my Debian box. -uso.