On Mon, 23 Jan 2023, Dave Horsfall wrote: > On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, Steve Nickolas wrote: > >> I think there was one particular dc clone...guy whose name started with >> a G? and his version did that. > > On my ancient MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2010, High Sierra 10.13.6): > > mackie:~ dave$ dc > (^D) > mackie:~ dave$ dc -V > dc (GNU bc 1.06) 1.3 > > On my ancient FreeBSD server: > > aneurin% dc > (^D) > aneurin% dc -V > dc (BSD bc) 1.3-FreeBSD > > Nil prompt in both cases. > >> Most Linux versions use GNU's which Does The Right Thing®™©. > > Perhaps so, but I try to avoid using Penguin/OS and GNU... I don't like > its licence conditions ("free" it ain't), and I would rather write my own > libraries than be constrained by Stallman's conditions. > > -- Dave I've dealt with fanboys telling me how to do GPL on my own stuff, and it left a sore taste in my mouth. I don't care about the stuff I *use*, but it did leave me very negative about the GPL itself, and if it seems that some of the OS-building stuff I've been talking about here and elsewhere has anything to do with a grudge against GNU,...well...it does. Still, GNU does seem to have more respect for precedent than a lot of johnny-come-lately coders trying to reimplement stuff themselves. -uso.