The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy 25th Birthday NetBSD!
@ 2018-03-21 22:35 Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2018-03-21 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Revision 1.1, Sun Mar 21 09:45:37 1993 UTC (25 years ago) by cgd

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sbin/init/init.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

Today is commonly considered the birthday of NetBSD.

Theo told me (seven years ago) that he, cgd, and glass (and one other
person) planned it within 30 minutes after discussing with the CSRG and
BSDI guys in the hot tub at the Town & Country Resort in San Diego at
the January 25-29 1993 USENIX conference. (Does anyone have more to
share about this discussion?) Soon, cgd had setup a CVS repository
(forked 386BSD with many patchkits) which was re-rolled a few times (due
to corrupted CVS). (So maybe March 21 is later than the real birthday.)

As far as I know, it is the oldest continuously-maintained complete
open source operating system. (It predates Slackware Linux, FreeBSD,
and Debian Linux by some months.)

"NetBSD" wasn't mentioned by name in the April 19. 1993 release files
(but was named in the announcement).
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/release/NetBSD/NetBSD-0.8

On April 28, the kernel was renamed to /netbsd, the boot loader
identified it as NetBSD, and various references of 386BSD were changed
to NetBSD.
https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commit/a477732ff85d5557eef2808b5cbf221f3c74553b
https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commit/446115f2d63299e52f34977fb4a88c289dcae92f

* [TUHS] Happy 25th Birthday NetBSD!
@ 2018-03-22  0:30 ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2018-03-22  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018, Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:

> Revision 1.1, Sun Mar 21 09:45:37 1993 UTC (25 years ago) by cgd
>
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sbin/init/init.
> c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN
>
> Today is commonly considered the birthday of NetBSD.
>
> Theo told me (seven years ago) that he, cgd, and glass (and one other
> person) planned it within 30 minutes after discussing with the CSRG and
> BSDI guys in the hot tub at the Town & Country Resort in San Diego at
> the January 25-29 1993 USENIX conference. (Does anyone have more to
> share about this discussion?) Soon, cgd had setup a CVS repository
> (forked 386BSD with many patchkits) which was re-rolled a few times (due
> to corrupted CVS). (So maybe March 21 is later than the real birthday.)
>
> As far as I know, it is the oldest continuously-maintained complete
> open source operating system. (It predates Slackware Linux, FreeBSD,
> and Debian Linux by some months.)

Speaking about NetBSD anyone know what Chris Demetriou is doing these
days?  He has not been very active in the community for the last 20 years
or so.  Last I heard he was working for Broadcom, but that was 18 years
ago...

--Andy
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Happy 25th Birthday NetBSD!
@ 2018-03-22  1:09 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-03-22  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks; I've added it to my list (with attribution, of course).

All geeky contributions to my list are welcome; one day I'll stick it on a
web page somewhere (when I figure out how to calendarise it) as Yet
Another Damned History Site...

* [TUHS] Happy 25th Birthday NetBSD!
@ 2018-03-22  1:21   ` Erik Berls
From: Erik Berls @ 2018-03-22  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 17:30 Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 21, 2018, Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:
>
>> Revision 1.1, Sun Mar 21 09:45:37 1993 UTC (25 years ago) by cgd
>>

>> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sbin/init/init.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN
>>
>> Today is commonly considered the birthday of NetBSD.
>>
>> Theo told me (seven years ago) that he, cgd, and glass (and one other
>> person) planned it within 30 minutes after discussing with the CSRG and
>> BSDI guys in the hot tub at the Town & Country Resort in San Diego at
>> the January 25-29 1993 USENIX conference. (Does anyone have more to
>> share about this discussion?) Soon, cgd had setup a CVS repository
>> (forked 386BSD with many patchkits) which was re-rolled a few times (due
>> to corrupted CVS). (So maybe March 21 is later than the real birthday.)
>>
>> As far as I know, it is the oldest continuously-maintained complete
>> open source operating system. (It predates Slackware Linux, FreeBSD,
>> and Debian Linux by some months.)
>>

> Speaking about NetBSD anyone know what Chris Demetriou is doing these
> days?  He has not been very active in the community for the last 20 years
> or so.  Last I heard he was working for Broadcom, but that was 18 years
> ago...

Last I talked to him a few years back he was a Eng Director at Google.
LinkedIn still shows him there.

--
-=erik.
--

@ 2018-03-22  1:41     ` Jon Forrest
From: Jon Forrest @ 2018-03-22  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/21/2018 6:21 PM, Erik Berls wrote:

> Last I talked to him a few years back he was a Eng Director at Google.
> LinkedIn still shows him there.

He's acknowledged in the beginning of the Go Programming Language
book.

Jon