The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 4.1BSD Networking
@ 2014-06-16 12:53 Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2014-06-16 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all, recent subscriber to this list...but some might
recognise me.

I'm currently fighting (and mostly succeeding) with getting a pure
4.3BSD-Tahoe install rolling in a VAX simulator (all my tape drives are
currently nonfunctional or I'd fire up a real II or III).  Still in the
middle of compiling (I know there are easier ways...but I like the feeling
of doing it purely "from scratch"...feels more historically accurate).

Anyways, while waiting for the compile I ended up with a working 4.1c
installation and I began poking around its source tree (I also did a
little bit of poking at the CSRG discs).  I stumbled upon the fact 4.1c
supports the DMC (which SIMH git now emulates!) and I see it's also still
in src/old on some versions of 4.3 (I wonder if it'll still build...).
Looking at the source is immensely confusing...does anyone have any
knowledge/notes from the time period/documentation that will help me with
my little experiment in archaic networking? I might just be tired...but
the berknet configuration doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
(There's also the fact my grasp of C is minimal).

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff

* [TUHS] 4.1BSD Networking
@ 2014-06-16 14:28 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2014-06-16 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Cory,

We can take this a off list if you like.   I warn you the DMR/DMC support
was for BSD was rudimentary, and most of us in the UNIX community did not
mess with it because we had non-DEC Ethernet controllers from that time.
 You might have more success seeing if we can dig up a simulation of the
Interlan or 3Com Unibus boards which were what may of used.

Clem

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> Hello all, recent subscriber to this list...but some might recognise me.
>
> I'm currently fighting (and mostly succeeding) with getting a pure
> 4.3BSD-Tahoe install rolling in a VAX simulator (all my tape drives are
> currently nonfunctional or I'd fire up a real II or III).  Still in the
> middle of compiling (I know there are easier ways...but I like the feeling
> of doing it purely "from scratch"...feels more historically accurate).
>
> Anyways, while waiting for the compile I ended up with a working 4.1c
> installation and I began poking around its source tree (I also did a little
> bit of poking at the CSRG discs).  I stumbled upon the fact 4.1c supports
> the DMC (which SIMH git now emulates!) and I see it's also still in src/old
> on some versions of 4.3 (I wonder if it'll still build...). Looking at the
> source is immensely confusing...does anyone have any knowledge/notes from
> the time period/documentation that will help me with my little experiment
> in archaic networking? I might just be tired...but the berknet
> configuration doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (There's also the
> fact my grasp of C is minimal).
>
> --
> Cory Smelosky
> http://gewt.net Personal stuff
> http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 4.1BSD Networking
@ 2014-06-16 16:05   ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2014-06-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd also warn that 4.1c as originally distriuted  has some serious bugs like crashing when it receives ICMP redirects.    We had just brought our systems up when they crashed and then it crashed an hour later and the phone rang and it was Louis Mamakos of UofM who was playing with their fuzzballs and pinged our system.

* [TUHS] Creating 4.3 skeleton filesystem (was Re: 4.1BSD Networking)
@ 2014-06-16 20:37     ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2014-06-16 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Little bit more sidetracking...

How were the skeleton filesystems created when generating a new miniroot
and whatnot?  Manually?  Were the scripts just removed from Tahoe?

Thanks!