The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Puzzled about COFF
@ 2024-07-11 13:59 Douglas McIlroy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2024-07-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

I subscribe to the TUHS mailing list, delivered in digest form. I do not
remember having subscribed to COFF, and am not aware of how to do so. Yet
COFF messges come in my TUHS digest. How does COFF differ from TUHS and how
does one subscibe to it (if at all)?

Doug

* [TUHS] Re: Puzzled about COFF
@ 2024-07-11 14:06 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-07-11 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 9:59 AM Douglas McIlroy
<douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> I subscribe to the TUHS mailing list, delivered in digest form. I do not remember having subscribed to COFF, and am not aware of how to do so. Yet COFF messges come in my TUHS digest. How does COFF differ from TUHS and how does one subscibe to it (if at all)?

Whereas TUHS is specific to Unix history, COFF (Computing
Old-Fashioned Facts---not the real acronym, but one I just made up,
I'm afraid) is more general. When a thread veers too far from Unix
history for TUHS, it will often be redirected to COFF; a way to do
this is to send a followup message, addressing TUHS in the Bcc: header
(to let folks know it's moving) and directly Cc: COFF, which is
possibly why one may see the occasional COFF message, despite not
being subscribed.

I believe that Warren subscribes people manually to both lists.

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] Re: Puzzled about COFF
@ 2024-07-11 14:10 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2024-07-11 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list

Doug,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 9:59 AM Douglas McIlroy <
douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> I subscribe to the TUHS mailing list, delivered in digest form. I do not
> remember having subscribed to COFF,

Although I believe when it was first set up, Warren asked people on TUHS to
send him a note.

> and am not aware of how to do so. Yet COFF messges come in my TUHS digest.

When things move from TUHS to COFF - two things (sometimes) occur.  The
person moving it, should BCC: TUHS and mention that it's moving, but .. all
preceding message will not yet have COFF in the header and thus will
continue to send things to TUHS.

> How does COFF differ from TUHS and how does one subscibe to it (if at all)?

As you know, many of these streams often diverge to non-UNIX-related issues.
Warren created COFF as a place to have those discussions, but people who
only wanted to discuss items relevant to the UNIX community should stick to
its history.
ᐧ
ᐧ
ᐧ

* [TUHS] Re: Puzzled about COFF
@ 2024-07-11 15:25 ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2024-07-11 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 09:59:28AM -0400, Douglas McIlroy wrote:
> I subscribe to the TUHS mailing list, delivered in digest form. I do not
> remember having subscribed to COFF, and am not aware of how to do so. Yet
> COFF messges come in my TUHS digest. How does COFF differ from TUHS and how
> does one subscibe to it (if at all)?

What sometimes happen is that a message will be sent to both the COFF
and TUHS lists, and then when someone replies, you'll still see [COFF]
in the subject line.

As Clem mentioned on another thread with the same question, best
practice when moving a thread which is no longer on-topic with
Unix/TUHS (e.g., when westart talking about Mainframes, VMS, et. al)
is to Bcc: TUHS saying that you are moving the discussion to COFF.
That's because if you use CC, then when someone responds, it replies
go to both list, instead of moving the discussion from one list to
another.

						- Ted

* [TUHS] Re: Puzzled about COFF
@ 2024-07-11 16:56   ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2024-07-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 11:26 AM Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> As Clem mentioned on another thread with the same question, best
> practice when moving a thread which is no longer on-topic with
> Unix/TUHS (e.g., when westart talking about Mainframes, VMS, et. al)
> is to Bcc: TUHS saying that you are moving the discussion to COFF.
> That's because if you use CC, then when someone responds, it replies
> go to both list, instead of moving the discussion from one list to
> another.

You can blame me for the recent spate of messages intended for COFF going
also to TUHS.  The thread on instruction set emulation/translation had
moved far off-topic for TUHS so I sent my reply to COFF, copying TUHS on
the message announcing the transfer of the topic.  But I used CC, not BCC,
so some further replies in the thread went to both lists.

Sorry about that, Chief!

-Paul W.

* [TUHS] Re: Puzzled about COFF
@ 2024-07-11 18:36     ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2024-07-11 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/11/24 11:56 AM, Paul Winalski wrote:
> You can blame me for the recent spate of messages intended for COFF
> going also to TUHS.  The thread on instruction set emulation/translation
> had moved far off-topic for TUHS so I sent my reply to COFF, copying
> TUHS on the message announcing the transfer of the topic.  But I used
> CC, not BCC, so some further replies in the thread went to both lists.

I wonder if we could leverage some technology to help us.

Specifically I wonder if we can cause Mailman to moderate messages to
TUHS that are also CCed to COFF.

While we're asking Mailman to do things, I wonder if we can have it
remove TUHS from headers (From: and Reply-To:) from messages going to COFF.

Hopefully this would steer messages a little bit.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die