What a wonderful historical tour, Clem! Thank you! On 5/31/20 7:53 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > MH used a new Mailbox (on-disk) scheme and formatted all messages in > RFC733 form with addresses being flat an in the form: user@host. The > new format, used a line a control-As followed by a nl, before and > after the message.   The headers of course where RFC733 (type: value > with a trailing nl) and were separated from the body of the message by > a single nl. MH's message/file format was also the inspiration for B news, which kept each Usenet message in a separate RFC733 format file. (The command line interface, however, was more like a feed, not separate shell commands.) No control-A separators, though, just separate files. > At some point in time, UCB built the 'Berk-net' (whose original code > was written by ABC/Google's Eric Schmidt).  BTW: Eric would have seen > the Spider Network in his summers at BTL.  The key thing with Berknet > was cheap.  It ran over 3 wire RS-232C between hosts at 9600 baud.  >  Like UUCP was used to transfer files and email.    Like UUCP it used > a pre-fix addressing form: host:user ; but like RFC733 and unlike UUCP > was flat. > > Where Mary Ann and I differ in our memories is who wrote the original > version of UCB's delivermail (8ucb) program.   We both agree that it > is possible it was Eric Schmidt, as the switch to using > delivermail(8ucb) was were Berknet was spliced into the email > namespace.  I had thought Kurt wrote it, Mary Ann thought it was Eric > Allman.   We agree Eric Allman was hacking on it for the Ing70.  For > this response, it doesn't really matter other than to try to get the > history right, because it does not matter for the Rand Mail subsystem. To clarify, I was joking when I mentioned Eric Schmidt as a possible author of delivermail. (I should have inserted a smiley.) I wasn't directly involved, as Eric Allman was in the Ingres project on a different system, but I thought he (Eric Allman) wrote delivermail, and so does Wikipedia. I think Kurt Shoens wrote only the MTA, but i could be mistaken. > Anyway around this time, the curses library was created by Ken Arnold > (originally to support Rogue) by pulling the screen code out of vi and > using Mary Ann's termcap stuff. I didn't write termcap, Bill Joy did. I wrote terminfo, but that was later when I was at Bell Labs in 1982. Ken's curses used termcap, my 1982 rewrite used terminfo.     Mary Ann