Dan Cross wrote: > > I'm curious about other peoples' thoughts on the talk and the overall topic? I saw this talk yesterday and I twote some off-the-cuff thoughts (https://twitter.com/fanf/status/1433004863818960898): I wanted to hear more about the problem of closed firmware (Roscoe's research platform uses OpenBMC). I hope the gradual rise of open firmware will help to fix the problem of platform management controllers treating the OS as the enemy. The talk focuses on Linux because ~everything runs Linux, but Linux was designed for a platform that was defined by Intel and Microsoft, and the disfunctional split that Roscoe points out is exactly the split in design responsibilities between Intel and Microsoft. In the Arm world the split has been reproduced, but with Arm and the SoC manufacturers instead of Intel and the PC clones, and Linux instead of Windows. There’s also Conway’s law, “you ship your org chart”, and in this case Roscoe is talking about the organisation of the computer industry as a whole. So if someone comes up with a better OS architecture, is the implied org chart also successful under capitalism? (end paste) I suppose the historical perspective would be to ask if the way that OS and driver software was developed in the past in vertically-integratewd companies can provide insight into the hardware complexity of today's systems... Tony. -- f.anthony.n.finch https://dotat.at/ Bailey: South or southwest, becoming variable, 2 to 4. Slight. Showers. Good.