On 3/5/23 8:01 AM, Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS wrote: > However, it would seem at first glance that early SunOS also had a > frame buffer device (/dev/cgoneX. /dev/bwoneX, etc.) which was similar > in nature (a character device that could be mmap’ed to give access > to the hardware frame buffer, and ioctl’s to probe and configure the > hardware). Is that correct, or were these entirely different in nature? My limited understanding is that PC compatibles, and thus Linux, with their VGA et al. cards had /text/ character support that other systems did not have. As such PCs ~> Linux /didn't/ /need/ frame buffer support in the beginning. Conversely all systems that didn't have such cards /did/ /need/ frame buffer from the start. I consider Linux's frame buffer to be a late comer compared to other systems. -- Grant. . . . unix || die