On 11/05/2018 09:12 AM, Arthur Krewat wrote: > It was possible, unless you used a network filter on the server, to just > ypbind to the server, and then you could ypcat all the maps. Not to > mention that without specifying a server, it was a broadcast. So any YP > server on the subnet would answer. Duly noted. Thank you for the explanation. > NIS+ was encrypted over the network, and needed a public key mechanism > to authenticate clients. One of which was the server itself. With it's > hierarchical architecture, it had a lot of flexibility. The encryption would thwart snooping. But it doesn't sound like that would prevent a properly authenticated client from ypcating too much information. > I really never understood why people didn't like NIS+. It took an extra > step or two to do certain things, but once scripted it was a fairly > secure way of handling authentication and directory services. I've heard a lot of people say they don't like something when they had something else that did what they needed / wanted (at the time) that required less work. Occam's Razor / Parsimony.... > I added new maps to it to do custom .cshrc/.profile scripts using > subsections in /usr/local/profile, and a few other customizations. Add > it's compatibility mode for NIS/YP, and you could use it to serve not > only Sun clients. Nice. > Operationally, it really was just NIS/YP but with a lot of whiz-bang > features. In a deployment of a few hundred mechanical and electrical > engineers, with about 50 actual workstations and servers I never had a > problem with it. Permissions and other features were actually quite useful. ACK > However, I must say, I kept the NIS/YP way of using flat files to > regenerate the NIS+ maps each time they were edited. So I guess I > cheated a little. Work smarter, not harder. -- Grant. . . . unix || die