On 12/6/2019 11:19 AM, ron@ronnatalie.com wrote: > > Later at BRL we got a copy of “Empire” from PSL.   The good thing > about that game was that your amount of activity was limited to one > hour a day and however many BTUs (Bureaucratic Time Units) your > capital generated.    However, people would print maps near the end of > their session and then spend hours planning the next day’s activity.   > Finally, the lab management had us shutdown. > I once took the EMPIRE source code for VAX, and translated it to MSDOS using IBM Personal Computer FORTRAN version 2.00. And even added color. I broke EMPIRE.FOR into 9 different chunks, I think there was some limitation of the compiler, but I'm not sure. The original EMPIRE.FOR:         PROGRAM EMPIRE C C This program is a war game simulation for video terminals. C The game was originally written outside of Digital, probably a university. C This version of the game was made runnable on Digital Equipment VAX/VMS C FORTRAN by conversion from the TOPS-10/20 sources available around fall 1979. C After debugging it, numerous changes have been made. C C Now that you are the proud owner of the source and you are all gung ho C to do things right, there are a few things you should be aware of. C Unfortunately, there are many magic numbers controlling how many different C kinds of units can exist and how many of each, so think well before you C attempt to add another unit type. Also, "slight changes" to the way the units C work will typically have a fairly devastating affect on the computers C strategy.  If you are interested in really hacking this, there is a plenty C of room for enhanced computer strategy.  As you'll see, there are some C very good debugging tools tucked inside, and you will soon discover weak C points and bugs, that up until you, have remained problems (all the previous C programmers got lazy or lost interest).  Finally, please be careful with C the version number and identification at start up to avoid confusion of C ongoing versions with private copies.  If you make a change don't remove C the major version id, but rather add something like (V4.0 site.1 20-JUL-80). C