The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] off topic - capatob - saratov2 computer Russsian pdp8? HELP
@ 2019-01-05 13:09 Dr Iain Maoileoin
From: Dr Iain Maoileoin @ 2019-01-05 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Off topic, but looking for help and wisdom.

If you visit https://www.scotnet.co.uk/iain/ <https://www.scotnet.co.uk/iain/>saratov you will see some photos of work that I have started on the front panel of a Capatob2.

I plan to get the switches and lights running on a blinkenbone board with a PDP8 emulation behind it.  (I already have an PDP11/70 front-panel running on the same infrastructure)

I have been struggling for over a year to get much info about this saratov computer (circuit diagrams etc).  So I have started the reverse engineering on the panel.

Does anybody know anything about this computer?  online or offline it would be much appreciated.

Iain

* Re: [TUHS] off topic - capatob - saratov2 computer Russsian pdp8? HELP
@ 2019-01-08 16:12 ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2019-01-08 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Dr Iain Maoileoin wrote:
> Off topic, but looking for help and wisdom.
>
> If you visit https://www.scotnet.co.uk/iain/saratov you will see some
> photos of work that I have started on the front panel of a Capatob2.
>
> I plan to get the switches and lights running on a blinkenbone board
> with a PDP8 emulation behind it.  (I already have an PDP11/70
> front-panel running on the same infrastructure)
>
> I have been struggling for over a year to get much info about this
> saratov computer (circuit diagrams etc).  So I have started the
> reverse engineering on the panel.
>
> Does anybody know anything about this computer?  online or offline it
> would be much appreciated.

Hi,

It's Saratov, not Capatob (Cyrillic). Since it was made by Russians
during the Soviet period, there's no wonder you can't find any
documentation regarding it.

It was made by CIME -- Central Institute of Measuring Equipment.
The company is alive to this day, you can visit the website
(in Russian) -- http://www.cime.ru/ or contact them at
cime at cime dot ru, maybe you'll have some luck.

There's a thread (in Russian) about it:
http://www.nedopc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9778
 From there I can see that it has FOCAL, Fotran, and assemblers,
just like the PDP.

On front in the center there are five lights that indicate the
step counter.

Saratov is a city on Volga where CIME is located --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saratov

--
caóc