The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] v7 tar and 2bsd.tar
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:38:00 -0500	[thread overview]

After much travail, I found a post in some ancient Asian language
(Japanese) and was reminded of Wolfgang's enblock. I didn't bother to
translate, but just did the enblock:

gunzip -d 2bsd.tar.gz
cat 2bsd.tar | enblock > 2bsd.tap

I attached the result, et voila:
tar xv0
tar: bin/ - cannot create
x bin/csh, 40412 bytes, 79 tape blocks
tar: bin/etc/ - cannot create
x bin/etc/htmp, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x bin/etc/install, 81 bytes, 1 tape blocks

The cannot create messages are filthy lies :).

That brought it all back to me - just like when I built tar from tape
for v6... sheesh, why does it have to be so painfully difficult to
remember these tricky bits?!

Anyhow, afterward, I went back, did the translation from Japanese to
English (or google did), and it was good stuff about how to apply
2bsd.tar to v6:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Forumin.blogspot.com%2F2014%2F06%2Funix-and-2bsd-on-pdp11simh-2.html

Thanks for the help and patience.

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF