On 11/5/17 3:12 PM, Clem cole wrote: > IIRC Leffler and Shannon had something > for a compiler backend at Case when they started their PE port, although > they had to do some hacking as the model they had was different from any > previous PE (they had to deal with a number of 7 bit and 24 bit issues). I > believe one of the attractions to the PE was they model the Research folks > had access was 32 bits and the PDP-11 was 16.   I’ll try to ask Sam with > what they started. It was a Harris /6 (I don't know how much that has in common with any PE model), Sam started with Johnson's PCC, and it was apparently a huge PITA. I have a copy of his thesis describing the work. -- ``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU chet at case.edu http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/