The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2003-05-23  4:10 Dennis Ritchie
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2003-05-23  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > The V7 ls(1) man page says that the -s option, which prints total
 >blocks, includes any indirect blocks.

 >However, the V7 struct stat didn't have the st_blocks member in the
 > struct stat, and the code in ls.c uses

 > 	long
 >	nblock(size)
 >	long size;
 >	{
 >		return((size+511)>>9);
 >	}

 >So, is this just a case of the man page being mistaken?

Yes, it looks like a manual bug. Retrieving
the true number of indirect blocks isn't possible
from the 7th edition stat.  I'm not sure when (or by
whom) the st_blocks member was added.

 > While I'm at it, the V7 ls -a option only adds . and .. to the
 > list; apparently all other dot files were printed by default.
 > When did ls change such that -a applied to all dot files?

UCB or USL did this (I'm sure which first).
Both tended to use more . files.

	Dennis

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2005-07-20 21:17 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-07-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> "vi". Editing with "cat" is possible but not very useful. I am not going
>>> to learn "ed".
>>
>> Why?
>
> Simply because. Because I do not like ed.
> I want to have useful and user friendly system. To use ed, only because
> it is the oldest editor, does not make any sense for me.
> I appreciate ed, because of sed, because sed has some similarity to ed
> and is extremely useful as a tool.
> Unix is not about ed, Unix is about unlimited possibilities of adding
> new software , new applications or new editors, it makes Unix beautiful
> that it can develop and not editor ed.If ed were all Unix has, it would
> not survive.
> I hope You accept that someone else can have different favourite
> editors. I prefer vi, or even more vim, which is perfect editor.Of
> course in the case of emulator missing user friendly editor is not a
> problem, because I can edit under Coherent and then build under
> emulator.It is good to have a choice, and Unix offers it.

In 1983 I was using vi.  I allowed a friend to use our system to typeset
his companies UNIX manuals, and quickly found that I was having to
share the machine with a dozen troff jobs.  Vi, being a program that
ran in raw mode, didn't respond very well on that 68010 10Mhz system.
I was forced to switch to ed.  Suddenly I discovered that I had hidden
real UNIX behind all those vi commands.  I now had plenty of
mental capacity to use the rest of the tools available.

To really say you understand the spirit of the software tools approach,
you must spend a couple of months just using ed.  Today I use acme
mostly, but still find myself using ed for some edits.

I would really encourage you to give it a try.  Spend two months
just using ed.  You cerntainly should use the editor you feel most
confortable with, but the growing experience will be well worth your while.

  Brantley

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2006-02-22  5:08 dmr
From: dmr @ 2006-02-22  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > If I remember correctly, all of the "real" members of the 3B family
 > (i.e. 3B2, 3B5, 3B15 and 3B20) shared a common "virtual"
 > instruction set called (I think) IS25 - it was the job of the assembler
 > to translate IS25 into the actual machine code for the specific
 > processor used in each machine.

 > IS25 was a little curious because it only defined those instructions
 > that were likely to be of use to the C compiler - thus there was a
 > "push" instruction so that the compiler could push function arguments
 > onto the stack, but no "pop" instruction because the C compiler
 > never generated it.

IS25: just so. I managed to retrieve the scanned PDF for
the manual for this virtual instruction set.  It's an
internal memo, but I'll send it if anyone asks.  It's
2.8MB of page images and is 108 pages long.

The memories of Lindsly and Lowenstein are also apposite.
AT&T donated quite a few machines (3B20 and 3B2) to universities,
and though they appreciated the thought, there were
various drawbacks--the gift didn't include maintenance, for
example.

	Dennis

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2010-01-13  3:42 Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2010-01-13  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

xtp at google.com
Bcc:
Subject: Re: [TUHS] E_GREG ??

Hey, I know and like Greg.  I used to work for him.  I've cc-ed him on this,
he may not know about this list.  And might enjoy it.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:07:19PM -0500, Brantley Coile wrote:
> Greg Chesson. He designed the uucp g protocol. There was a piece of
> networking gear at Murray hill that Greg worked on that every now and
> then would fail to connect. Someone modified the message to read "it's
> all Greg's fault.". Later the string became an errno, I think for the
> Netb file server protocol. Plan 9 still has an EGREG even though it is a
> string in plan 9. It now reads "Ken has left the building."
>
> iPhone email
>
> On Dec 15, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>> I just saw this on Groklaw:
>>
>>    There were not many machines which ran Version 10. They were all
>>    at Murray Hill and some of them were donated to Auburn University
>>    when AT&T closed up shop.  We got some old MicroVAX machines and
>>    a couple of printed manuals. One of the printed manuals lists
>>    various error codes. One of them is
>>
>>    E_GREG Greg did it.
>>
>>    Poor Greg. who was he, really?
>>
>> Anybody know the answer? Norman?
>>
>> P.S Merry Xmas to all.
>> Cheers,
>>    Warren

---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2015-07-18 17:43 Mark Longridge
From: Mark Longridge @ 2015-07-18 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I came across some Unix files in v7add such as bs.ps for the Bell logo
and ms.pic (described as Figure 1 for msmacros).

http://www.maxhost.org/other/ms.pic

I was wondering if there was some viewer or conversion program so we
could look at pic files from this era?

Mark

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2015-07-19 20:55 Brian Walden
From: Brian Walden @ 2015-07-19 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I authored those files so I could render the Seventh Edition manuals
as PDF in 1998 (long after I had departed the Labs). As pic did not
exist yet (Kernighan had not written it) there were never any
original pic files for these documents. I do not know what 1127 was
doing to publish diagrams at the time.

The Bell logo I did directly in postscript so \(bs would render. The logo
was originally it's own custom "character" just like an A, B or C, on the
phototypesetter's optical font wheel.

You can see what they look liked from the v7 PDF manuals --

In Volume 2A (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/v7vol2a.pdf)
bs.ps is on variety of pages such as 129, 130, 216
ms.pic is on page 127
make.ps is on page 282

In Volume 2B (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/v7vol2b.pdf)
implfig1.pic is on page 162
implfig2.pic is on page 168

these are the PDF page numbers (where the title is page 1)

> From: Mark Longridge <cubexyz at gmail.com>
>
> I came across some Unix files in v7add such as bs.ps for the Bell logo
> and ms.pic (described as Figure 1 for msmacros).
>
> http://www.maxhost.org/other/ms.pic
>
> I was wondering if there was some viewer or conversion program so we
> could look at pic files from this era?
>
> Mark

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2015-12-24 18:09 scj
From: scj @ 2015-12-24 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually, I could easily see Usenix doing this kind of thing on a regular
basis.  Add my vote as another ex president...

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2015-12-24 18:09 scj
From: scj @ 2015-12-24 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-12-26  4:49 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-12-26  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2015-12-26  4:51 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-12-26  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2021-04-05 22:43 M Douglas McIlroy
From: M Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-04-05 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> I had been debating leaving Usenix for several years already;
> the move to soft copy ;login: clinched it for me.

I have been a loyal nonmember of ACM ever since the CACM was
converted from a journal to a magazine. Usenix didn't strike quite
such a decisive blow when it abandoned Computing Systems.
;login: remains as a Cheshire grin. It remains to be seen whether
I'll continue to scan it in its non-tactile form.

Doug

* [TUHS] (no subject)
@ 2022-01-11 23:02 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2022-01-11 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

>  Ken and Dennis were teaching [the Votrax] to swear

"Speak" being a phonetics-based program, I suspect they were exploring
multiple spellings. Out of context, lots of spellings were
indistinguishable. For example,
cheap, cheat, cheek, chief was hard to tell from cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep..

At the risk of repeating myself, the fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck example
came to the fore when a "speak" kiosk was installed at Epcot. PR folks
were worried that people would try it on bad words in this public
setting and asked me to block them. I said I'd block whatever words
they told me to. Duly, I was sent a list--on the letterhead of an AT&T
vice president. (Was that dictated to a secretary?)  Later I heard
that girls would often try friends' names, while boys would try bad
words and exclaim that the machine didn't know them. In fact, those
were among the few words the machine *did* know. Fortunately nobody
ever complained that I hadn't blocked misspellings.

Doug