The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] AT&T / Teletype DMD 5620 Emulator
@ 2019-01-04 21:07 Seth J. Morabito
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Seth J. Morabito @ 2019-01-04 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hello folks,

I realized I should mention this here on TUHS, since it is likely of
interest to at least some of you!

I recently wrote a DMD 5620 emulator, currently available on Linux and
Macintosh, with Windows support coming soon. Here's a brief demo of the
Mac version:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSWqBmAMeY

I wrote it because DMD 5620s are becoming incredibly rare, and showing
them off in person is quite difficult nowadays.

This emulator is using ROM version 2.0 (8;7;5) dumped from my personal
5620. If anyone out there has a DMD 5620 with an older ROM, I would be
incredibly grateful if you could dump the ROMs. I'd like to find
versions of 1.x (8;7;3 or earlier); so far I've had no luck.

The main reason I'm interested in older ROMs, besides pure preservation
reasons, is that the 'mux' and 'muxterm' system on Research UNIX V8/V9
is hard-coded for the 1.1 ROMs. It doesn't work with the emulator
without significant tweaking of the source. It DOES work perfectly well
with the DMD Core Utilities package for the AT&T 3B2, however.

All the best!

-Seth
--
  Seth Morabito
  Poulsbo, WA, USA

* Re: [TUHS] AT&T / Teletype DMD 5620 Emulator
@ 2019-01-04 21:50 ` Clem Cole
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-01-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth J. Morabito; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Very cool!!! Looking forward to playing with it.
ᐧ

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 4:18 PM Seth J. Morabito <web@loomcom.com> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I realized I should mention this here on TUHS, since it is likely of
> interest to at least some of you!
>
> I recently wrote a DMD 5620 emulator, currently available on Linux and
> Macintosh, with Windows support coming soon. Here's a brief demo of the
> Mac version:
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSWqBmAMeY
>
> I wrote it because DMD 5620s are becoming incredibly rare, and showing
> them off in person is quite difficult nowadays.
>
> This emulator is using ROM version 2.0 (8;7;5) dumped from my personal
> 5620. If anyone out there has a DMD 5620 with an older ROM, I would be
> incredibly grateful if you could dump the ROMs. I'd like to find
> versions of 1.x (8;7;3 or earlier); so far I've had no luck.
>
> The main reason I'm interested in older ROMs, besides pure preservation
> reasons, is that the 'mux' and 'muxterm' system on Research UNIX V8/V9
> is hard-coded for the 1.1 ROMs. It doesn't work with the emulator
> without significant tweaking of the source. It DOES work perfectly well
> with the DMD Core Utilities package for the AT&T 3B2, however.
>
> All the best!
>
> -Seth
> --
>   Seth Morabito
>   Poulsbo, WA, USA
>   web@loomcom.com

* Re: [TUHS] AT&T / Teletype DMD 5620 Emulator
@ 2019-01-05  6:04 ` Noel Hunt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Noel Hunt @ 2019-01-05  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth J. Morabito; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I may be wrong but I thought there was a version of 'pi' for debugging
code running on the Blit/Jerq. Does that run in the emulator?

@ 2019-01-09  9:12 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-01-09  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: web, tuhs

This is pretty cool. Can you post links for this and the 3B2 emulator?

I had one for a few years at Georgia Tech and I *loved* the keyboard.
It was a huge productivity boost being able to have multiple windows.

We used them connected to our Vax 11/780 with 4 Meg of memory running
4.[12] BSD (don't remember which) and having multiple DMD 5620s
with multiple windows open on each drove the poor vax to its knees...

Arnold

"Seth J. Morabito" <web@loomcom.com> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I realized I should mention this here on TUHS, since it is likely of
> interest to at least some of you!
>
> I recently wrote a DMD 5620 emulator, currently available on Linux and
> Macintosh, with Windows support coming soon. Here's a brief demo of the
> Mac version:
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSWqBmAMeY
>
> I wrote it because DMD 5620s are becoming incredibly rare, and showing
> them off in person is quite difficult nowadays.
>
> This emulator is using ROM version 2.0 (8;7;5) dumped from my personal
> 5620. If anyone out there has a DMD 5620 with an older ROM, I would be
> incredibly grateful if you could dump the ROMs. I'd like to find
> versions of 1.x (8;7;3 or earlier); so far I've had no luck.
>
> The main reason I'm interested in older ROMs, besides pure preservation
> reasons, is that the 'mux' and 'muxterm' system on Research UNIX V8/V9
> is hard-coded for the 1.1 ROMs. It doesn't work with the emulator
> without significant tweaking of the source. It DOES work perfectly well
> with the DMD Core Utilities package for the AT&T 3B2, however.
>
> All the best!
>
> -Seth
> --
>   Seth Morabito
>   Poulsbo, WA, USA
>   web@loomcom.com

* Re: [TUHS] AT&T / Teletype DMD 5620 Emulator
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-01-09  9:35 ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2019-01-09  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth J. Morabito; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

*Great* Work, Seth. Congratulations. Hope to see a public release of all
this more than appreciable work (3B2 and DMD emulators) soon.

All the Best for you too.

Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche Grüße | Salutations
--
*Sergio Pedraja*
http://www.linkedin.com/in/sergiopedraja

El vie., 4 ene. 2019 a las 22:18, Seth J. Morabito (<web@loomcom.com>)
escribió:

> Hello folks,
>
> I realized I should mention this here on TUHS, since it is likely of
> interest to at least some of you!
>
> I recently wrote a DMD 5620 emulator, currently available on Linux and
> Macintosh, with Windows support coming soon. Here's a brief demo of the
> Mac version:
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSWqBmAMeY
>
> --
>   Seth Morabito
>   Poulsbo, WA, USA
>   web@loomcom.com

* Re: [TUHS] AT&T / Teletype DMD 5620 Emulator
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-01-09 14:54 ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2019-01-09 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Neat!

I wrote an emulator for the original 68K jerq/blit two years
ago.

The original Plan 9 version is at
http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/tip/sys/src/games/blit

A Javascript version is available at
http://blit.aiju.de/

It connects to a public research unix V8 installation. Please play nice :)

aiju

@ 2019-01-11 22:16   ` Seth Morabito
From: Seth Morabito @ 2019-01-11 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019, at 10:05 PM, Noel Hunt wrote:
> I may be wrong but I thought there was a version of 'pi' for debugging
> code running on the Blit/Jerq. Does that run in the emulator?

Hello Noel,

I'm actually not familiar with 'pi'. Thomas Cargill described a debugger called 'joff' that targed the MC68000 Blit in a 1985 paper titled "Implementation of the Blit Debugger", but as for the 5620, I'm not sure what existed.

I will have a look through the TUHS archives to see if there's anything in the V10 dumps, perhaps.

-Seth
--
 Seth Morabito
 Poulsbo, WA

@ 2019-01-11 22:20   ` Seth Morabito
From: Seth Morabito @ 2019-01-11 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, at 1:12 AM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> This is pretty cool. Can you post links for this and the 3B2 emulator?

Hello Arnold,

Absolutely, I'd be happy to.

The 3B2 emulator is described in more detail here:

-  https://loomcom.com/3b2/emulator.html

The DMD 5620 emulator is documented here:

-  https://loomcom.com/3b2/dmd5620_emulator.html

> I had one for a few years at Georgia Tech and I *loved* the keyboard.
> It was a huge productivity boost being able to have multiple windows.
>
> We used them connected to our Vax 11/780 with 4 Meg of memory running
> 4.[12] BSD (don't remember which) and having multiple DMD 5620s
> with multiple windows open on each drove the poor vax to its knees...

I can imagine! The multiplexing code running on the host could get pretty expensive pretty fast, especially with multiple layers per terminal.
--

@ 2019-01-11 22:26   ` Seth Morabito
From: Seth Morabito @ 2019-01-11 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, at 7:02 AM, Julius Schmidt wrote:
> Neat!
>
> I wrote an emulator for the original 68K jerq/blit two years
> ago.
>
> The original Plan 9 version is at
> http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/tip/sys/src/games/blit
>
> A Javascript version is available at
> http://blit.aiju.de/

Hello Julius,

I am familiar with your work, I was very inspired by it. I'm really glad that the MC68000 Blit is so well emulated! I'd love to see a real Blit or jerq in person some day, but I don't even know where I'd find one (it looks like even the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA doesn't have a 68K Blit -- it only has a DMD 5620)

All the best!

> aiju

-Seth
--