The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] kernel debugging in analogue
@ 2022-07-01 23:38 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-07-01 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

i remember a fellow student debugging an lsi11 kernel using a form of analogue vectorscope.

i think it had a pair of DACs attached to the upper bits of the address bus. it generated a 2d pattern which you could recognise as particular code - interrupts are here, userspace is there, etc.

the brightness of the spot indicated the time spent, so you got a bit of profiling too - and deadlocks became obvious.

anyone remember these, what where they called? i think it was an HP or Tek product.

-Steve

* [TUHS] Re: kernel debugging in analogue
@ 2022-07-02  1:52 ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2022-07-02  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/1/22 4:38 PM, Steve Simon wrote:

> anyone remember these, what where they called? i think it was an HP or Tek product.

both tek and hp had products that would show you vectors between points in an 8x8 grid
representing 64k locations

i'm having trouble thinking of the HP part number, it was in the 160x series. it appears
on the cover of an hp journal in the mid-70s

* [TUHS] Re: kernel debugging in analogue
@ 2022-07-02  1:57   ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2022-07-02  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/1/22 6:52 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 7/1/22 4:38 PM, Steve Simon wrote:
>
>> anyone remember these, what where they called? i think it was an HP or Tek product.
>
> both tek and hp had products that would show you vectors between points in an 8x8 grid
> representing 64k locations
>
> i'm having trouble thinking of the HP part number, it was in the 160x series. it appears
> on the cover of an hp journal in the mid-70s

https://archive.org/details/hp_journal_1975-08/page/n3/mode/2up

* [TUHS] Re: kernel debugging in analogue
@ 2022-07-02  2:45   ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2022-07-02  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/1/22 7:52 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
> both tek and hp had products that would show you vectors between
> points in an 8x8 grid representing 64k locations
>
> i'm having trouble thinking of the HP part number, it was in the 160x
> series. it appears on the cover of an hp journal in the mid-70s

Now I want to nudge / pester Curious Mark to see if he has the equipment
to demonstrate this on one of his videos.  }:-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [TUHS] Re: kernel debugging in analogue
@ 2022-07-02  2:50     ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2022-07-02  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 7/1/22 7:45 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 7/1/22 7:52 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
>> both tek and hp had products that would show you vectors between points in an 8x8 grid representing 64k locations
>>
>> i'm having trouble thinking of the HP part number, it was in the 160x series. it appears on the cover of an hp journal in the mid-70s
>
> Now I want to nudge / pester Curious Mark to see if he has the equipment to demonstrate this on one of his videos.  }:-)

I suppose I could loan my 1607 to him.
For some reason, I guy did a ewe toob video and never used the mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiBozvGl5_I

* [TUHS] Re: kernel debugging in analogue
@ 2022-07-02  6:20       ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2022-07-02  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs