The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: krewat@kilonet.net (Arthur Krewat)
Subject: [TUHS] Windows Notepad to support Unix line endings
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 18:30:47 -0400	[thread overview]

On 5/9/2018 5:54 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> What am I missing?

I was reading comments on an article about this today, and someone
raised the idea that Windows is dead, and Microsoft will just switch to
Linux.

Can you imagine a world where one operating system dominates the playing
field, both server and client? And while some would say "well, UNIX won"
- I don't consider Linux to be "UNIX" just as many here do not.

They have SQL Server for Linux now, and they have a Linux subsystem for
Windows that allows you to run Linux binaries on Windows. I'd love to
see some benchmarks of SQL Server on Linux vs. Windows.

How long before they take the Windows GUI and video drivers and slap it
on top of Linux for a test spin? (if they haven't already)

I wonder how Dave Cutler would feel about that? :)

art k.