On 6/20/24 7:35 PM, Alexis wrote: > i believe the idea is not for precomputing to be done by _builds_, but to > be done on and for a given machine and its configuration, independent of > any specific piece of software, which is then _queried_ by builds. That > precomputation would only need to be re-run when one of the things under > its purview changes. This is the rationale behind local (package-specific) and global (site- specific) versions of config.cache and `configure -C'. I use them all the time; they reduce configuration time considerably. (But then, I am probably building more often than someone who just downloads a source tarball, builds it, and installs the result.) > If i compile something on one of my OpenBSD boxen in the morning, and then > compile some other thing in the afternoon, without an OS upgrade > in-between, autoconf isn't going to find that libc.so has changed > in-between. configure and config.cache compute the results for a given build environment. If you change that, whose responsibility is it to update the dependencies? -- ``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU chet@case.edu http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/