The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Montgomery's emacs
@ 2019-06-11 13:59 Pat Barron
From: Pat Barron @ 2019-06-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'm reminded since Erik brought this up...

Is Warren Montgomery's emacs available, like, anywhere...  I used it long
ago on V7m, and I had it on my AT&T 7300 (where it was available as a
binary package).

It's the first emacs I ever used.  I don't recall where we got it for the
PDP-11.  On our system, we had it permission-restricted so only certain
trusted users could use it - basically, people who could be trusted not to
be in it all the time, and not to use it while the system was busy.  We
had an 11/40 with 128K, and 2 or 3 people trying to use Mongomery emacs
would basically crush the system...

In the absence of that, I've always found JOVE to be the next best thing,
as far as being lightweight and sufficently emacs-like.  I actually
install it on almost all of my Linux systems.  Did JOVE ever run on V7?

--Pat.