The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Regular Expressions (was Re:  origin of the name 'glob')
@ 2017-07-09 21:55 Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2017-07-09 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/9/17, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> All the DEC-10 and 11 operating systems I used had that wildcard, as well
> as IIRC even the PDP-8, maybe someone can confirm the -8.
>
> It would have been nice had RE's been the standard way to glob files, but,
> that said, when I mention .*\.c to people instead of *.c they don't much
> like it.

So when were REs first designed and implemented?  I would imagine that
they came about as a way to extend the old '*' and '?' wildcard
syntax, but that is only a guess.

-Paul W.

* [TUHS] Regular Expressions (was Re: origin of the name 'glob')
@ 2017-07-09 22:06 ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2017-07-09 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you haven't seen it, check out Ken Thompson's brilliant paper on
compiling regular expressions.  The date was 1968... In effect, he
built a JIT to do regular expression searches (on an IBM 7094, no
less!).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjika38mP3UAhVT2WMKHd3FAEcQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fing.edu.uy%2Finco%2Fcursos%2Fintropln%2Fmaterial%2Fp419-thompson.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFTSoOmBGBOl-DdCqUAv5dLLuuQPg

The earliest reference is a paper by Kleene in 1956.   In fact, I
recall that * was sometimes called "the Kleene star" in the day...

Steve

 > All the DEC-10 and 11 operating systems I used had that wildcard,
as well
 > as IIRC even the PDP-8, maybe someone can confirm the -8.
 >
 > It would have been nice had RE's been the standard way to glob
files, but,
 > that said, when I mention .*.c to people instead of *.c they don't
much
 > like it.

 So when were REs first designed and implemented? I would imagine that
 they came about as a way to extend the old '*' and '?' wildcard
 syntax, but that is only a guess.

 -Paul W.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Regular Expressions (was Re: origin of the name 'glob')
@ 2017-07-09 22:08   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-07-09 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 3:06 PM Steve Johnson <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:

> The earliest reference is a paper by Kleene in 1956.   In fact, I recall
> that * was sometimes called "the Kleene star" in the day...

that's how they taught it to me: Kleene closure or Kleene *

ron

@ 2017-07-09 22:36     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2017-07-09 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 22:08:45 -0000 ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 3:06 PM Steve Johnson <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:
>

> > The earliest reference is a paper by Kleene in 1956.   In fact, I recall
> > that * was sometimes called "the Kleene star" in the day...
> >

> that's how they taught it to me: Kleene closure or Kleene *

For the curious, here is Kleene's paper:
    http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/nnafmc/papers/kleene56representation.pdf
Kudos to whoever retyped the paper in TeX!

* [TUHS] Regular Expressions (was Re: origin of the name 'glob')
@ 2017-07-09 23:35       ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2017-07-09 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday,  9 July 2017 at 15:36:10 -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 22:08:45 -0000 ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 3:06 PM Steve Johnson <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The earliest reference is a paper by Kleene in 1956.   In fact, I recall
>>> that * was sometimes called "the Kleene star" in the day...
>>
>> that's how they taught it to me: Kleene closure or Kleene *
>
> For the curious, here is Kleene's paper:
>     http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/nnafmc/papers/kleene56representation.pdf
> Kudos to whoever retyped the paper in TeX!

There's also a Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleene_star

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
* [TUHS] Regular Expressions (was Re: origin of the name 'glob')
@ 2017-07-09 23:43       ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2017-07-09 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-07-09 6:36 PM, Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 22:08:45 -0000 ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 3:06 PM Steve Johnson <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:
>>

>>> The earliest reference is a paper by Kleene in 1956.   In fact, I recall
>>> that * was sometimes called "the Kleene star" in the day...
>>>

>> that's how they taught it to me: Kleene closure or Kleene *
>
> For the curious, here is Kleene's paper:
>     http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/nnafmc/papers/kleene56representation.pdf
> Kudos to whoever retyped the paper in TeX!

Last time I transcribed a paper I found typos in the original, so this
isn't without value if done carefully, but it would be more useful to
posterity if they made the transcribed source code public (e.g. github).

@ 2017-07-10 13:47   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-07-10 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since Steve has mentioned it, this and much more about regular expressions
and their implementations may found at

	https://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/

Highly recommended.

Arnold

@ 2017-07-10 12:38 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-07-10 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Paul Winalski

    > So when were REs first designed and implemented? I would imagine that
    > they came about as a way to extend the old '*' and '?' wildcard syntax,
    > but that is only a guess.

I would suspect in the context of editors, not command file-naming. Don't
have time to research it, though. Try checking CTSS, early Multics, etc.

	Noel