I take your points. C gives a lot of freedom, but all things are not possible. I think what comes to mind for me is when I see the idea of trying to limit solutions to use only certain certain "design patterns", I usually would go in the direction of more freedom and less rules. On 03/14/2023 12:48 PM, John Cowan wrote: > > > On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 3:24 PM Luther Johnson > wrote: > > I'm talking more about where the intent is to invest languages > with more "safety", "good practices", to bake certain preferences > into language features, so that writers no longer recognize these > as engineering choices, and the language as a means of expression > of any choice we might make, but that the language has built-in > "the right way" to do things, and if the program compiles and runs > at all, then it must be safe and working in certain respects. > > > ORLY? Do you reject C, then, because it does not support > self-modifying code or the ability to jump into the middle of a > procedure without going through the prologue? These are baked-in > preferences, and if a C program compiles at all, you can be sure that > it does neither of these things, even if it would benefit your program > greatly if they were available. > > Some people would say that's exactly what the new dialects bring > us, but I see too much artificial orthodoxy invented last week, > and too many declarations of the "one true way", in many of the > most recent languages, for my taste. > > > Since you agree that it is a matter of taste, there can of course be > no disputing it.