The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?
@ 2022-07-15  8:51 Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS
From: Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS @ 2022-07-15  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 17:51:39 +0000
> From: segaloco <segaloco@protonmail.com>
>
> Given V8 being rebased on 4(.1?)BSD, I suspect the path of least resistance would be to just start grafting V8 code onto the working 4.1BSD.

I doubt that V8 is "rebased on 4(.1?)BSD": in my understanding it ported some code from 4xBSD, but it is a different code base.

As I currently understand it, the V8 kernel:

- is a further development from 32V
- retains the code organisation of the V5..32V versions
- adds virtual memory code from BSD
- adds select() from BSD

and then adds all the V8 innovation on top of that (streams, file system switch, virtual proc file system, networking, remote file system, support for the Blit terminal, etc.)

In particular in the area of networking the V8 kernel is organised quite differently from the 4xBSD kernel, including the Chaosnet driver (i.e. it is streams based).

Paul