I started with Warren Montgomery’s EMACS. Prior to that, my entire screen oriented experience was with INed (a variant of the Rand editor). BRL largely switched to the free Gosling’s emacs and then later to Unipress. I ended up working for Unipress for a few months. Oddly, I ended up using JOVE (Johnathon’s Own Version of Emacs) because it is a small lightweight thing to move around. Consequently, I never used leaned vi. If there was no emacs variant on the machine, I used ed. My employees were quite impressed by my ability to do complex editing with ed and regular expressions there. -Ron