That should read eight blocks in the inode not four in the first sentence (and up to eight later). ------ Original Message ------ From "Ron Natalie" To "Kenneth Goodwin" ; "Noel Chiappa" Cc "The Eunuchs Hysterical Society" Date 3/9/2023 10:07:17 AM Subject [TUHS] Re: 'Huge' file support removed from PWB1 >In the version 6 file system, If the file was less than 4K, the four >blocks in the inode refer directly to the disk blocks containing the >file data. >After thef ile grows past that, the large bit is set in the inode and >these blocks contain the single indirect blocks, referencing 256 data >blocks each, until you used up seven of these. >The last one was the double indirect block that pointed to other >indirect blocks. The file size was stored in 24 bits, and the block >numbers were 16 bit. > >As Noel points out, PWB uses the same file system as V6 but with the >HUGE (last double indirect) code commented out. I have no idea why and >I never noticed it before. While we used a lot of stuff from the PWB >distribution (notably SCCS) we had no real interest in using the PWB’s >kernel because our V6 kernel had diverged sharply from the Bell >versions. > >Version 7 came around with a different filesystem layout. File sizes >were 32 bits, and the disk block indexes were 24 bits. The latter was >stored as a series of bytes on the disk but expanded into longs in >memeory. >There was no large bit anymore. The first 8 blocks addresses in the >inode were always single indirect, the next two were single indirect, >and the last one was double indirect. (If my memory serves me right) > >At BRL, we modified our very-hacked V6 kernel to have the ability to >mount either V6 or V7 filesystems. > >We never ran V5, but I think V5 is essentially the V6 file system >without the HUGE support again. > >-Ron